Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the sunroof in my camry has a mind of its own, the switch has never worked for me, it tilts up on its own randomly and you cant push it down, to day I noticed it had dropped down and lower itself like if it was getting ready to slide inside, I have no idea what it is...
do you think the mechanical parts of the sunroof are damaged? how do i test if its the motor or the relay? last time i checked there was current going out of the switch.
I have the smaller sunroof I noticed other camrys have wider ones, and some idiot replaced the headliner and put the wrong one put the one for the wide sunroof and the light isnt hooked up and the "oh shit" handles arent there
I want to fix it!!

· Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,255 Posts
I had a surroof sealing problem recently .... actually on an 03 Camry .... Have you initialized the sunroof position? You have to do this if you have disconnected the battery or performed any sunroof position adjustment. ... Basically, you just use the switch to run the sunroof to its full limit position .... then hold and push again for 10 sec. or so.... Probably consult your own owner's manual for the correct procedure... or maybe the online repair manual... Not sure if your switch is part of the problem though.

· Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,255 Posts
Can you access the motor terminals or wires? .... Should be one red and one green wire.
If you can find these wires .... ought to be somewhere in the vicinity of the roof control relay, you can take a meter and test for voltage when you activate the roof motion switch. The idea is that if you have voltage ... with respect to chassis ground on either of these wires, then the relay and switch is working, and the problem is the motor.
You will have to test both wires ... and both switch directions ... The circuit also has a limit switch, which would cut off the electrical current if the roof position is presently in a position such as to activate that limit switch. ... Just test both switch directions and see if you can get some sort of voltage present on the red and green motor wires.
... This assumes that your fuses are good ...10 amp gauge ... 30 amp power ... 20 amp dome.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you access the motor terminals or wires? .... Should be one red and one green wire.
If you can find these wires .... ought to be somewhere in the vicinity of the roof control relay, you can take a meter and test for voltage when you activate the roof motion switch. The idea is that if you have voltage ... with respect to chassis ground on either of these wires, then the relay and switch is working, and the problem is the motor.
You will have to test both wires ... and both switch directions ... The circuit also has a limit switch, which would cut off the electrical current if the roof position is presently in a position such as to activate that limit switch. ... Just test both switch directions and see if you can get some sort of voltage present on the red and green motor wires.
... This assumes that your fuses are good ...10 amp gauge ... 30 amp power ... 20 amp dome.
last summer I had more time on my hands and I dropped the headliner..as I remember there was no current on the motor but i dont remember how i tested it but i do remember there was current coming out of the switch...I used a circuit tester tho probably not what I should be using...where are these 3 fuses located? i've yet to find anything labeled sunroof...

· Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,255 Posts
Gauge and power fuses are behind coin tray ... left of steering column under dash ... one of the two boxes there.
Dome fuse is in engine compartment.. to your right as you open the hood ... the fuse box next to the fender .... see diagram on under side of box lid.

· Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,255 Posts
Ok i saw the gauge fuse its good don't know which "power" fuse your talking about, forgot to look for that dome fuse.
That would be the fuse for the power windows ... If your windows are working its probably ok. If your interior lights are working your dome fuse is probably ok.

· Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,255 Posts
If removing the headliner is not a problem ... see if you can locate the red and green wires ... in the roof switch area. These would go to the window motor... You are looking for a voltage that is on or off... depending on the switch position.
... Guessing about the headliner ..... remember, I'm just looking at the repair manual diagrams... not too much detail available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.