Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Tacoma
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, im having a more recent problem with my transmission. Its an A43D Automatic Transmission. Last week i started to notice it is slipping when i go to pass someone up, at least i think its called slipping. or maybe delay? all i know is that its like im driving down the highway, put the transmission in neutral, and then putting it back into drive. It pulls just fine once it gets into the gear, and the tranny fluid is full and not discolored. This transmission is a rebuilt one i purchased back in 2003, but i dont think it should be going out that quickly. Does this problem sound like the valve body is sticking? or does it sound like the governor is messing up? I know this tranny isnt computer controlled as the repair manual states. Ive tried adjusting the kick down cable and nothing has helped the problem. What is the next step i should take to fix this issue? im afraid it might mess something else up in the transmission if i keep running it like that. thanks for anyones help!

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Tacoma
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as if it were lagging?
yeah u can say lagging. im not very familiar with automatic transmissions. trying to learn a little. it lags mainly from overdrive to 3rd gear. but it does do it occasionally on other gears when its cold. sound like a sticking valve body to u? i just need to know what my options are, as this tranny isnt that old and definitely has less than 30,000 miles on it

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
if the engine is revving like it's in neutral, that's bad. when it does engage, is it really harsh and sudden or smooth and proportional to how hard you hit the gas ?

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Tacoma
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if the engine is revving like it's in neutral, that's bad. when it does engage, is it really harsh and sudden or smooth and proportional to how hard you hit the gas ?
Well I wouldn't say it's harsh, but I mean it engages when it's revved up so it's a little rough. I try not to make it do that. It doesn't shutter or anything. If I hit the overdrive button and turn it off, it'll kick down smoothly, but if my foots on the gas, and I kick it down with the pedal or the o/d switch it revs up for maybe 1 second before it catches the gear.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
hmmm, i guess it really is slipping then. What fluid is in the transmission?

when warm, 35mph and up, O/D will engage.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Tacoma
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm, i guess it really is slipping then. What fluid is in the transmission?

when warm, 35mph and up, O/D will engage.
Dexron III trans fluid. It only does it between o/d and 3rd when it's hot.

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
My truck sorta does the same thing. I have a 94 4x4 with the A43D tranny and when im in overdrive and need to pass somebody it will downshift out of overdrive and into passing gear, but on its way there it does sound like there is a little slipping going on but my speedometer needle does not slow down when climbing, when it does this it does not bang or engage harshly it just revs a little higher for a split second then goes down to were it should be compared to my speed. Its a very smooth possess.

Our transmissions are equipped with a lockup torque converter. This means that when we are cruising on the highway in overdrive both the engine and the transmission lock up and are spinning at the same speed, this is supposed to help with MPG by not allowing any slippage when in overdrive. When we need to pass somebody and the transmission is in overdrive/lockup mode, the transmission needs to kick down into passing gear and at the same time unlock the torque converter to spin it faster (and yes there is some slipping going on when the torque converter lockup is not engaged ,even in a brand new transmission), that split second increase in RPM is more then likely the torque converter lockup disengaging causing a slight difference in speed between the engine and transmission until the the transmission side of the converter catches up with the engine side of the converter. My transmission has done this since i bought it and it still pulls strong with close to 200000 miles on it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
4WD trucks dont have the A43D, I think you have a A340 or something similar.

I THINK mine has a lockup torque converter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts