Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone my first post so go easy:smokin: ,

I've got a 4dr 1994 corolla 1.6L no overdrive that has a lot of debris in the transmission fluid after it locked up. Differential didn't get filled after a transmission flush :hammer: .

The engine is in excellent shape (& only 80k miles) I just need some advice on what to do with this tranny. I'm fairly adept with car work so I was thinking of just buying a used one and putting it on myself.

My question is does anyone know what transmission can be put on this vehicle, and also how difficult it would be. Would a manual or any special tools be required or is just a pop it off and replace? I can get a kinda beatup 94 dx with 200k miles for about $700 that also has some other parts I could use, so I was thinking about doing it that way.

Any good advice is greatly appreciated:D

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
The R&R of the tranny isn't that difficult but I always suggest you get a manual. From my experience, they pay back for themselves very quickly.
Is the tranny in the DX good?
Is the car driveable?
Have you driven it?

The DX should have the same tranny as yours.

{from Wikipedia}

A245E Applications:

1993-2003 Corolla
2003- Matrix (with VVT-i Engine)
Gear ratios: 1st - 3.643:1 2nd - 2.008:1 3rd - 1.296:1 OD - 0.892:1

Drive axle ratio (for 93-97 Corolla): 2.821

Check your nearest salvage yard and see what they charge for a transmission, just to get an idea. Depending on what else you are getting from that DX at $700 it might be worth it. I have seen transmissions on E-Bay for $150, but then you need to pay shipping too, maybe another $150.

If you were going to swap the 1.8 engine along with the tranny, I would say it is worth it, but that engine has a lot more miles than your current engine does, so mmmmmmm I-dunno.

Does the DX have larger brakes than your car? That would be a good upgrade.
The swaybars would be also good, if your car doesn't have those.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
it sounds like you have a 3spd SD corolla, if so you have to use a 3spd box beacause the 4spd is electronically controlled and the wiring isn't there and the computer can't control it..

If your even thinking about swapping the 1.8L (7afe) make sure its not burning oil i would bet $50 it burns oil

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
98_Rolla_Guy. From your statement I guess burning oil is a regular problem with the 7A-FE?
Rings or valve seals?

I was thinking of putting one into my Tercel.

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
Its the rings, the oil control ring fails and just sticks into the piston.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
The '92 Corolla I just got had that problem too. It is a 4A-FE.
There was a lot of sludge in the engine when I took it apart. Mind you, it seems as if it had been driven for a while with a blown head gasket. There was a ton of empty water bottles in the trunk. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts