Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need your help in the replennishing of automatic transaxle differential oil:

The passenger drive axle on my 94 V6 Camry needed to be replaced. After I did it successfully, I did a drive test and the car ran normal.

In the process of replacing the axle, about 1/2 of a pint of the differential oil was lost out when the intermediate shaft was pulled out of the transaxle block. According to the Haynes repair manual, to refill you need to remove a screw on the driver side of the transaxle block, (as shown in picture 19-2, page 1-20 of Camry 92-96 Haynes manual) and add Dextron II into that screw hole until overflow. Since the car ran normally and it was too late at night I postponed the refilling.

About 4 days later when having time, I put the both sides of front car on support stands and remove that 17mm screw, to my surprise. lots of differential oil came out ! (I thought the differential oil level should have been low. I ended up loosing about another 1/2 pint of differential oil before I could stop it by putting the screw back in. The car seems to still drive normal. however

I drove the car to normal operational temp and check the autotransmission oil, it was at the correct level

My questions:

1- What did I do wrong ? Should the engine be at operational temp before unscrewing the screw ? (I removed the screw when engine was cold, the car had been in gagare overnight)

2- Or maybe for some reasons the car had already had too much of the differential oil to begin with ?

Thanks in advance for any help, Sdinh

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the same result when I took the fill plug out of the diff - big flood. I pulled the drain and still got about the same flood suggesting the diff was way overfilled. I checked this after regular driving with the transmission at operating temp.

Perhaps that's the reason my garage floor is covered with red oil and not from the steering pump as I first suspected. The diff hasn'rt been service for 40K so anybody got any idea how the excess oil got in the diff??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts