Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Can anyone give us some detailed info about the ECU on the 95 V6 LE w/Auto tranz?
Does it have a built in Rev Limiter and at what RPM does it come on?

When manually shifting it seems to go way beyond the factory Red Zone on the tach (6200/6400) like 7700 RPM and it seems like valve float and not ignition which is limiting the RPM.

Specifically I am looking for published data about how the system works or should work, so feel free to include manual trans info if that is what you have but mine is an auto.

Thanks,
/Randy

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I have been going through the repair manual that is stickied at the top of the forum and can not find anything on a rev limiter. Of course taht is probably not waht toyota calls it so trying to search for it in the PDF file is not the easiest. I am sure there is I jsut dont rememerb from when I was working for Toyota. It never really came up when I was working on them.

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,047 Posts
doesn't the camry use a fuel cut to limit revs?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ no, it's not a fuel cut for sure....and it's around the 7.5K area.....

but I'm not what it actually is either

·
Australian TN'er
272 Posts
the 1mz-fe in my gen 4.5 rev limiter kicks in just as you hit red

I wont let you go much into the red if at all. I've hit it before. And it feels hella strange when it does. The car like stutters. ie stops accelerating and once it drops it lets you go again

good to know that you cant break your engine by being dumb =)

·
Yota4Life
1993 Toyota Camry
192 Posts
yea but aren't the gen 4s obd2? cuz i am pretty sure the 3rd gens are obd1

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ no, all 1mzs are obd2, including the 94s

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
The 1MZ's have both ignition and fuel cut. It should be around 6800RPM to be exact, although some of you may see it go higher because some tachometers read quite off at higher RPM. The rev limiter will engage a soft cut ignition rev limiter, similar to a very sluggish feeling of the engine, and eventually it hits a hard fuel cut like hitting a brick wall.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Where did you get the info?????

Tony,
You posted some facts about the 1MZ rev limit. Can you tell us where you found this information?

Also the info posted on your rides - some serious numbers there! - any info we can read up on and see how you got those number (FWHP)?

The CCH website has head flow numbers for ported heads. Do you have the stock plenum, intake flow numbers? Also the stock cam numbers. I can't seem to find them lift, duration, open/close events....

Thanks,

Randy

·
Watch for finger....
CAMRY
1,348 Posts
i have a 94 and mine cuts me off at 6500 RPMs my friends old camry (also 94 w/ 1mz-fe) cut out at 6200 RPMs... i dont know how i just know if i just stand on the gas when it is in park (i found it out accidently) it just kicks it back when you get it there... thats all i have to add...

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still Looking for CAM Specs & Flow Numbbers

Chris,
Thanks for the link, but I am not finding any head/plenum flow numbers or cam specs....

If anyone has this infio I would like to use it and put in the DeskTop Dyno simulater and see how close it comes to the published specs.....

Thanks in adavance!

95 1MZ-FE data please...

·
Registered
96 Camry V6 LE
565 Posts
Whay are some of you guys redlining your engine while not in gear? That is bad for the engine. I've nevar gone past more than abut 3500 rpm, and that was along time ago when i first got it.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
V6LE_CAMRY said:
Whay are some of you guys redlining your engine while not in gear? That is bad for the engine. I've nevar gone past more than abut 3500 rpm, and that was along time ago when i first got it.
Whats the difference? IMO, theres more damage being done while under load, seeming the engine is "working" hard at the speed, as opposed to just free revving.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ plus the power on the 1mz starts at about 3500k, so basically, you aren't going anywhere fast until you go beyond that point

·
Australian TN'er
272 Posts
^^ True that! nice an sluggish ride if you dont go past 3.5 =P

'cept unless i and trying to go fast, i usually let it change at about 2.5 - 3 hahahahaahah

Its better economically with rising fuel prices

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's like dry firing a gun or a bow, no load causes inertial stress. Hard to explain.

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
73sport said:
Tony,
You posted some facts about the 1MZ rev limit. Can you tell us where you found this information?

Also the info posted on your rides - some serious numbers there! - any info we can read up on and see how you got those number (FWHP)?

The CCH website has head flow numbers for ported heads. Do you have the stock plenum, intake flow numbers? Also the stock cam numbers. I can't seem to find them lift, duration, open/close events....

Thanks,

Randy
You will have to call CCH directly to get the stock flow numbers... He didn't put them on the website and I don't have mine readily available (lost my old HD).

The rev limit info was found in the Toyota shop manual, specifically for the 1994 Toyota Camry V6 (comes in two huge a$s books).

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
CamryRacer said:
i have a 94 and mine cuts me off at 6500 RPMs my friends old camry (also 94 w/ 1mz-fe) cut out at 6200 RPMs... i dont know how i just know if i just stand on the gas when it is in park (i found it out accidently) it just kicks it back when you get it there... thats all i have to add...
Free neutral rev redline will be different than say your car is moving. My stock ECU'd Camry back then would cut fuel around 6200RPM in neutral, but would go close to 7000RPM (6800RPM to be exact based on shop manual) if the engine is in gear and moving.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks - Tony
Perhaps a new thread - ??

Tony the Tiger said:
You will have to call CCH directly to get the stock flow numbers... He didn't put them on the website and I don't have mine readily available (lost my old HD).

The rev limit info was found in the Toyota shop manual, specifically for the 1994 Toyota Camry V6 (comes in two huge a$s books).
/ra

1 - 20 of 20 Posts