Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 4Runner (3VZE, Automatic) is leaking a flourescent green fluid from a metallic line that looks like it runs from a small fan in front of the radiator (behind the grill), runs underneath the battery pan, and heads toward the firewall. The leak was spraying a really fine mist straight up in the air, so I don't think its anti-freeze, even though it really looks like it. A bit more background info.

I bought the truck four years ago, and the a/c didn't work. Had it recharged, and for three years the a/c worked fine. Last summer (7-8 months ago) the a/c stopped working. I've noticed that the line that has the leak is caked with the same green fluid, now dried on the outside of the metallic line.

My first guess is that the fluid is the a/c refrigerant, but the msds for R134A and R12 both say that the fluid is colorless. Its too dark outside for me to take a pic now, but I can tomorrow if necessary.

Without pics, does anyone have an idea?

Thanks for any advice.

MP

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
Was your engine at operating temp when this happend? Did you notice if the fluid was also hot when it was spraying out? I do believe that the refrigerent is colorless. Also is the truck running hot ? Or are you loosing coolant out of the overflow bottle? Are you sure that the fluid is comming from the A/C system? Sounds like Anti Freeze to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jetwhine,

Thanks for replying. The truck hadn't been driven for 3 days and the temps have been down in the 50's, so everything was cold. While the fluid looked exactly like anitfreeze, I've never heard of it being under pressure, unless you count the water pump, which wasn't turning in my case. I had just put the battery back into the battery pan, and I must have jarred the line, because I heard it hissing. I looked around the battery pan, then pulled the whole pan out. That's when I noticed the fluid shooting straight up out of the line in a really fine mist. Looking down on the pan from the front of the truck, the line ran along the right hand edge, with about half of it being visible (lengthwise) with the battery pan in place.

Plus, the line was really tiny (about 1/8" or so in dia) so I can't imagine it doing much to circulate coolant.

I really appreciate your inputs, and I hope I don't come across as doubting them, I'm just trying to give you more info. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow morning.

MP

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
Mountainplayer,

From the way you describe it, it sounds like you just evacuated your A/C system. As for the color I dont have a clue. The refrigerant is usualy clear. But it could have dye added for leak detection. That would be the only thing that I can think of. As long as your truck does not overheat when driving and you dont need A/C I would not worry. If you want the A/C working it sounds to me that the line needs to be replaced and have the Pros charge the system. If there are any A/C guys reading please chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jetwhine,
Thanks. I think you've nailed it. I took photos this morning, and when I moved the shop towel that I had placed over the leak, I noticed a very fine spray shooting straight up...almost as fine as a fog. The fluid that had dripped onto my driveway had turned into a solid material. Pics would be following, but I can't figure out how to post them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts