Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Im very new to this forum chat, so please excuse anything pretty stupid i type.

So i have a 95 camry 2.2 liter 4 cyl motor and it is overheating bad, i thought it was my cylinder head gasket, so i repaired that , and it was still overheating:frown:, i tried changing the thermostat but it still overheat? i am thinking it could be the water pump ? im not to confident that it make be the source of the overheating , but at this point im really lost and in need of help !

Please help! if anyone can or have any advice
please and thanks:grin:

·
Registered
1995 camry coupe
58 Posts
How does the inside of the radiator look like? I had overheating issues in my Camry too. I needed a new radiator, heater core and a flush since the previous owner of my car neglected the cooling system and let it sludge/rust up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i brought a new raditor before i did the head gasket job, thinking that was the problem, but it wasnt , but never flushed the coolant lines or stuff since i brought the car could that be a problem?

Sidenote: my heating doesn`t work , can the heating cause the car to overheat?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have you replaced the water pump ever?

It may be corroded and or rusted and not working properly. If youve never flushed coolant it would probably be a good idea

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have you ever bled your cooling system?

It's much easier if your thermostat has a jiggle pin. Use an OEM thermostat if you can. The cheapo $5 ones typically don't last.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1999 Toyota Camry and it's overheating and it burnt out the gasket and the engine oil mixed with the water in the radiator ... I changed the gasket replace the oil and oil filter but still it overheat and bubbles alongside smokes are coming out of the radiator while topping it with water .....please can you tell me what to do ?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,263 Posts
Just replacing the head gasket isn't enough to prevent a repeat episode.

Did you inspect the head for warping? That needs to be addressed to ensure that the oil and coolant passages remain free to flow instead of mixing.

Once it's addressed, then the issues could be damaged heater hoses, radiator, thermostat, radiator cap, or heater core is clogged. Don't forget the water pump.

·
Registered
Camry, Vibe, Venture
534 Posts
Just replacing the head gasket isn't enough to prevent a repeat episode.

Did you inspect the head for warping? That needs to be addressed to ensure that the oil and coolant passages remain free to flow instead of mixing.

Once it's addressed, then the issues could be damaged heater hoses, radiator, thermostat, radiator cap, or heater core is clogged. Don't forget the water pump.
Could we not rule out most of the highlighted items above by doing a pressure test on the coolant system ?

Reactions: 75aces

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes a pressure test would rule the highlighted items above either "in" or "out". Additionally, the rad cap can be pressure tested as well but most likely you would have to take that to a rad repair shop to evaluate its condition. Another quick check is the oil dip stick and the under side of the oil fill cap. If you have coolant mixing with your engine oil eventually you will end up with a product that resembles a chocolate milk shake.

Again as has been stated, simply replacing a head gasket will not remedy the situation if a leak(s) are present at the head to block mating surfaces. The head is aluminum, the block cast iron, each expand and contract at different ratios. Both surface would need to be evaluated for trueness and decked as necessary and then a new head gasket and new head bolts installed.

Other low-no buck checks, would be seeing if the coolant is swirling/moving in the rad once up to operating temperature with the rad cap removed. Careful there as the coolant is hot and you will need the coolant level in the rad below the filler neck in the rad to make your observations. If the coolant is moving this would in theory confirm the water pump is circulating the coolant within the cooling loop. Other checks of various cooling system temperatures (hoses, head, rad, t-stat housing, etc) can be made with a non-contact infra-rad thermometer that can be bought for $20-30 USD. The temp gun tells no lies, I find it an invaluable diagnostic tool especially for topic like this. Who knows you may have a bad temp sending unit and you are simply chasing ghosts.

This thread was hijacked a little and now two different scenarios are intertwined; overheating and the loss of coolant. While the loss of coolant will create and overheating condition, and overheating condition can caused by several things (coolant level, coolant flow, air flow, t-stat, etc.). Follow an appropriate trouble shooting path for your symptoms.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have a 1999 Toyota Camry and it's overheating and it burnt out the gasket and the engine oil mixed with the water in the radiator ... I changed the gasket replace the oil and oil filter but still it overheat and bubbles alongside smokes are coming out of the radiator while topping it with water .....please can you tell me what to do ?
You need a new head gasket, and possibly more.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Also remember you cant reuse head bolts, ever. I always have block and head checked for warpage before reinstalling, this works well
or if super low budget, a thick piece of float glass, both with a feeler gauge set from HF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts