Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new to these forums so go easy on me :)

I have a 1995 Camry. Fantastic car. I have had pretty much 0 problems with it since I started driving it in 1998 (got it used). The car currently has 99,500 miles on it and I'm at a point in my life right now where I was thinking.. Should I buy a new car or just do a bigtime tuneup on my current car and ride it out for 5-6 more years..

So, considering I am going to be getting a house early next year, I decided it would be best for my wallet to just drop some money into the car I have now and ride it out for several more years. However, I have some questions for you pro's:

1) What are all the parts/fluids you guys would recommend replacing/changing/tuning in a 3rd generation camry that has had very little service in the past? I'm fairly certain the timing belt / water pump need to be changed about now, so those are two DEFINITE things I plan on getting replaced.

2) I have a slight electrical problem in the car. The lights in the area of the temperature/air control panel are out MOST of the time.. But for some odd reason, when I turn the dial they sometimes (rarely) come back on for the duration of the ride.. How much would this cost to get fixed do you think? (I'm assuming because it's an electrical problem, going to cost a lot to fix and will probably not be worth it.)

3) The car has a fairly rough idle. Also on top of the rough idle, sometimes (not all the time) the car will dip very low RPM's idlling making the car very shaky.. (Years ago it had to be taken in for service because the car was actually STALLING at idle from the low RPM's.)

4) A friend of mine in chicago is actually very familiar with toyotas and is willing to help me replace/change anything in the car within reason (not the timing belt/water pump because they are too hard to get to with the stuff he has available in his garage). So if labor costs are usually an issue with certain things that are within reason to get to, I can cut those out.

I am willing to spend a good amount of money on the car to keep me going for many more years. I do not put many miles on the car as I pretty much just drive to/from work every day which is a very short drive (2-3 miles).

Also, what are my options with installing a new audio system in the car? Anyone have any recommendations for recievers/speakers? I currently just have all the stock stuff that was in the car from day 1.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you can provide!!

Adam

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
i wouldnt really worry about doing a maintenance on your car...i never had a big thing like you want ever done to my 92...and i have 195000 miles on it and its still running strong...if you change your il every 3000 miles and do a standard tune up at a dealership...youll be straight

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
I have 156000. I had my Camry since it had 98000 in 1999. Timing belt and water pump is a given around this time, but you know that one. As for the low idle problem, I had that problem about 3 years back and it turned out my alternator was going. So I replaced that and bought a new battery just to start off fresh and no more low idle (Can be done in your friends garage). The only other major problem I've had was when my distributor went, so I replaced that and no major problems since (knocking on wood).

Other things were just normal wear and tear: replace suspension parts, tires, valve gasket, engine torque mount.

A little TLC with take your camry another 5-6 years easily.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
1.) Yes on the timing belt- if it's still on the original at nearly 100k that is amazing, but my feeling is that if you're keeping the car it's worth the time and $$. Might also be a good idea to get the belt tensioners and the water pump replaced if you're in there anyway. BTW Toyota's T-belt interval is now 90k gang... idk about y'all but that's a tad long imo. To be safe, I'd do all the fluids, including trans/power steering/coolant flushes. Then again, it's a Toyota, so you needn't worry too much. I'm just very particular about how I keep my car:D

2.) Same with mine. It's a minor annoyance, try tapping the panel around the controls with your fingers, they might come on. This worked for me. I'm to understand it's kind of common with our cars, and it doesn't really hurt anything.

3.) On occasion, mine does too. It seems as though a lot of the 4-cyl cars do this, hold a fairly steady idle (dropping to 500 rpm on occasion though) but shake a bit. I posted back in the day about this, it had happened even on my old '87, but the consensus is that it's common.

4.) Other than the timing belt, which you said he can't do with the stuff he has, I'd imagine most other things can be handled by him, smaller stuff by you if you're handy- then again, it's a Toyota... what could possibly go wrong! These Gen3 Camrys are among the most bulletproof cars ever.:bowdown:

Hope I helped,

Steve

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
I think it's a great idea that you WANT to do maintenance, rather than just doing stuff when it NEEDS to be done. That should keep the car running longer. I've had problem #2 of yours, not sure why it does that, seems to have cured itself though, but maybe it only happens when it's cold out? Do the timing belt at an interval that seems safe to you, but remember that sure, they're designed to last up to 100k miles, but I would change them much sooner just in case (I just did mine at 120k, so every 60k like recommended). If your timing belt hasn't been changed like it should have been 40k miles ago, DO IT NOW. I do oil changes every 3000-4000 miles because they're cheap (mostly do them myself) and I figure it's the small things that add up and keep the car going.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Fluids should be a no brainer. Flush out every fluid you may have overlooked over the years ie. coolant, ATF/gear oil, brake, steering.

Grab a tube of grease and refresh all the joints. Inspect the undercarage for loose bolts, torn rubber boots, exhaust leaks, corroded fuel lines. Speaking of fuel, replace your fuel filter.

Poke around the enginebay. While you're in there, clean out your throttle body. This might help with your irratic idle.

Lastly, put a nice coat of wax on her and enjoy for many years to come :)

Edit: forgot plugs and wires.

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
hey man i got a 95 cam too, but mine has 180K miles on it, and has always run perfect, even after the crash lol.

also mine also had the rough idling, but i checked up on it and bought some fuel injection cleaner at advanced auto parts (for like 6 bucks) and it fixed the problem almost completly, something about the injectors getting clogged and dirty, and it makes the car shake at idle.....try that man!!

i would stay with he camry instead of going for a newer car...defaintly!!

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
another culprit of the erratic idle can be coolant...so a nice flush replaced with genuine red Toyota coolant fluid can do wonders for a car that has more than likely never had it done.

just do a thorough inspection of everything...check all the hoses under the hood, check the spark plugs if you haven't changed them in awhile, just normal stuff. you should be good to go with all the tune-ups for another 100k :)

Keri

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
My recomendation would be to keep the car. Just fix it up.

As for the sound, just install a CD player and a 10 CD MP3 changer. The stock speakers in the Gen 3 are pretty nice!

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
yeah the speakers are great in mine too!!

·
Registered
92 camry dx
40 Posts
the light bulbs are more than likely shot i had same prob with my dash lights and saw that the bulb was shot. u can only get the bulbs from a dealership and its a wee bit fun taking ur dash apart to replace them.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I would recommend doing the maintenance also. If you were to basically doa 60,000 mile service as described inthe owners manual you should be pretty good for a while. This will include replacing plugs, fuel filter, air filter, tranny fluid, coolant. Then for the rough idle I would chekc the distributor for any signs of oil in the cap. The Camry's sued to have some minor problems with the seals in the distributor leaking that can cause some idle problems. Clean the throttle body or have it cleaned. you may also want to check the spark plug tubes. They have a tendency to leak after a lot of miles. You will know they are leaking if there is oil all ove rhte end of the spark plug wires when you pull them out, this can cause some idle and driveability problems. If you friend is a former Toy Tech he should know how to go about reapiring that if they are leaking.

For the timing belt make sure you replace all the oil seals along with the water pump, tensioner and idler. It has been a while but if it is a 4cyl. there should be one cam seal, crank seal, and oil pump seal. do those when you do the T-belt and water pump. Might as well replace the T-stat while you are doing all of this also.

Wile you are at it pour some quality fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. You should be able to get another 200k miles out of that thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the light bulbs are more than likely shot i had same prob with my dash lights and saw that the bulb was shot. u can only get the bulbs from a dealership and its a wee bit fun taking ur dash apart to replace them.
Would you tell me how difficult it was to replace the dash board lights? Any special tools required?
Thanks,
Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts