Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 camry 4 cyl.......it stalls when I come off the highway and am stopped at a light or stop sign,,.....it idles fine but when put into gear and warmed up...occasionally it will stall as well....but will start up almost immediately......any help would be appreciated.....
 

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
Joined
·
2,879 Posts
egr valve stuck? does it give any trouble codes i.e. check light is on? since i dont know where macedonia is i'm going to say take it to autozone or canadian tire and they check it for free and let you know why it's on but i think you can check it your self not too sure on the 95 if you can still jump 2 pins and have it blink the check light to tell you whats wrong and do a serch and that should let you know where to start looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EGR is ok .......have code 24.....intake air temperature sensor....but that would not make car stall........all tune up parts are new.........fuel pressure is good.......in 7 hours it stalled 3 times......VERY INTERMITTENT.........
 

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
Joined
·
6,090 Posts
Have to agree with Chronoti... sounds like a stuck EGR valve...try this...take the tube off of the valve and try to create a stall (or repeat the conditions that you would stall in). If all goes well (no stall) it's your EGR valve. (Plus it won't hurt your car if you unhook the valve).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Sounds like EGR valve. It tends to accumulate carbon deposits in the central shaft it's an erratic condition. Take the EGR valve out and see if you have any carbon deposits that are partially obstructing the sliding of the shaft. If that is the case, just get rid off the carbon deposits. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
i kinda had the same problem, but i just stopped driving for a while and it went away lol..but still if it comes back i'd like to check it out. where's the EGR valve and how do you open it?
 

·
Traitor
Joined
·
332 Posts
hondarules said:
I have a 95 camry 4 cyl.......it stalls when I come off the highway and am stopped at a light or stop sign,,.....it idles fine but when put into gear and warmed up...occasionally it will stall as well....but will start up almost immediately......any help would be appreciated.....
mine does that too after comihng off the highway...i have a 93 v6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well...found the prob....bad ECT.....engine coolant temperature sensor.........go figure.....was making the car run rich.....found weird voltage spikes coming from it..........and temperature readings would be all over the place......from -10 degrees to 95 degrees...weird but I'm changing it in the morn....I think that will be it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
hondarules said:
well...found the prob....bad ECT.....engine coolant temperature sensor.........go figure.....was making the car run rich.....found weird voltage spikes coming from it..........and temperature readings would be all over the place......from -10 degrees to 95 degrees...weird but I'm changing it in the morn....I think that will be it....
my 93 4cyl used to stalled once the engine warmed up, after spending a lot of $ and trial and error by dealer, swapping o2 sensors, egr valve, cleaning throttle body and changing all seals in engine, finally took them 2 weeks to figure out the engine temp sensor malfunction, ever since they replaced it, been running with out any repair for 18 months now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
The problem with the ECT sensor is a classy one in 95's camry and older. If you connect the car to the scanner, wierd temp readings will appear. Most of the technicians, without the scanner, will miss this problem. A cheaper way to confirm this is to connect a voltimeter to the ECT sensor and check the resitance (ohms). Turn on the car let it warm and watch the ohm readings. They should decrease as the car warms up. If the readings start going up and down erratically it means that the ECT sensor is gone. This erratic readings are interpreted by the ECU like low coolant temp and creates an enriched engine condition ( to much gas ) and the car will do a warm stall. If that's the case, buy a new ECT sensor and install it. You Just remove the old one and put the new one with a bit of teflon taoe.
good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
This is great. My 95 Camry Wagon (4cyl) has been stalling at idle once it wrms up.
I had it in to my mechanic (who I trust) and he did a tune up which it definatly needed but the car was still stalling. He took it back (twice) and couldn't figure it out.

My question is... where is the ECT sensor? And what about the EGR valve? Is that hard to replace? I'm not afraid of doing some of this stuff myself but I'm in NY and it was 10 degrees this morning and I don't have a garage.

I might just give my mechanic a list of things to check.

Thanks to all. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
There are two switches on the right side of the engine (standing in front of the car) on the coolant tube. The left (green) is the Eng. Goolant Temp Sensor. Buy one at dealer and replace it. There is a gasket that you can reuse. Wrap the sensor thread with teflon and install it. Your mechanic should do it for free or max $20.
 

·
A Lone Wolf
Joined
·
98 Posts
im having the same problem...ill check it out and let you guys know.

excpet mines a 88 camry.
 

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
Ive got a similar problem aswell. Mine doesnt tend to stall (although it did when i bought the car) but now..the engine rpm's just drop low. And in normal/warm weather..there is a marked difference in performance, cold temps..esp in night time and she flies!!!....might try the ECT...except im not sure if they make them for 88 model cars anymore! Anything interchangable?
 

·
A Lone Wolf
Joined
·
98 Posts
JetspeedCamry said:
Ive got a similar problem aswell. Mine doesnt tend to stall (although it did when i bought the car) but now..the engine rpm's just drop low. And in normal/warm weather..there is a marked difference in performance, cold temps..esp in night time and she flies!!!....might try the ECT...except im not sure if they make them for 88 model cars anymore! Anything interchangable?
yea, actually i just looked up the manual and they show a tutorial and everything. i even went out and checked and saw the ECT sensor...
if you want, i can scan the page?
 

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
Its cool.ive got a manual on how to do it. Thanks.
Just wanted to see what it would cost for a new one..so i rang up toyota.
AUD$140!! just for a sensor..friggn expensive as.
 

·
A Lone Wolf
Joined
·
98 Posts
JetspeedCamry said:
Its cool.ive got a manual on how to do it. Thanks.
Just wanted to see what it would cost for a new one..so i rang up toyota.
AUD$140!! just for a sensor..friggn expensive as.
damn, autozone sells a Wells brand for 23 USA, lol.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top