Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Toyota Newb
95' Toyota Camry
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Camry with the 1MZ-FE motor in it, I believe the same alternator that it came with.

At any rate, I feel like I've not got the current I need for this thing to work properly. When I roll down/up two or more windows at the same time, I feel like it's really pulling on the system to get the juice it needs to run those windows back up. If my headlights are on, those go somewhat dim. Has anyone else experienced this issue? And if so, what did you do? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
... problem might be related to the voltage regulator, which is a part that is internal to the alternator. If you can locate an alternator/starter repair shop, they can diagnose the problem and repair it for you.

... also, just take a close look at your battery connection cables. Sometimes the contact surfaces of the cable connectors become oxidized or dirty ... where they tighten up on the battery lugs. Buy a battery cleaning brush or tool at your parts store, and try to get the inside of the cable connector bright and shiny. Then do the same for the outer surface of the battery lug. Then immediately assemble them together and snug up. ... ought to help some.

·
Toyota Newb
95' Toyota Camry
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... problem might be related to the voltage regulator, which is a part that is internal to the alternator. If you can locate an alternator/starter repair shop, they can diagnose the problem and repair it for you.

... also, just take a close look at your battery connection cables. Sometimes the contact surfaces of the cable connectors become oxidized or dirty ... where they tighten up on the battery lugs. Buy a battery cleaning brush or tool at your parts store, and try to get the inside of the cable connector bright and shiny. Then do the same for the outer surface of the battery lug. Then immediately assemble them together and snug up. ... ought to help some.
I think I have all the stuff I'd need to clean off those terminals, I'll try that when I get home. I should also mention that my battery isn't even a year old yet, so I doubt anything is real wrong with it.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
I think I have all the stuff I'd need to clean off those terminals, I'll try that when I get home. I should also mention that my battery isn't even a year old yet, so I doubt anything is real wrong with it.
The battery is just used to start the car so that shouldn't matter. The alternator is what provides the juice while the car is running. You mention you're on the original alternator - that would definitely be the first place to start. On a '95 that means it is 19 years old. My mom has the same car as you and I've never noticed any of the things you mention. I'm not sure if her alternator has ever been replaced, I need to check. The car only has 95K miles though.

Also - how old are the power window motors/regulators? If they're old and not working optimally, they could be creating unnecessary strain on the electrical system. I replaced both motors/regulators up front on my mom's Camry and they definitely work better/smoother/faster than the old ones.

·
Toyota Newb
95' Toyota Camry
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery is just used to start the car so that shouldn't matter. The alternator is what provides the juice while the car is running. You mention you're on the original alternator - that would definitely be the first place to start. On a '95 that means it is 19 years old. My mom has the same car as you and I've never noticed any of the things you mention. I'm not sure if her alternator has ever been replaced, I need to check. The car only has 95K miles though.

Also - how old are the power window motors/regulators? If they're old and not working optimally, they could be creating unnecessary strain on the electrical system. I replaced both motors/regulators up front on my mom's Camry and they definitely work better/smoother/faster than the old ones.
I know the battery shouldn't matter... but the guy who had this before me wasn't the brightest crayon and had some things hob-knobbed together and I'm not sure of anything anymore lol.

I will be replacing the regulator on the back passenger's side door because it makes a damn awful noise every time you move it... you'd think I have a WWE match between a squirrel and raccoon taking place in my car.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Some minor dimming is normal. Can't stop physics.

There is no accurate way to judge the condition of the charging system without first doing a voltage reading. Get yourself a digital multimeter and connect it to the battery while the car is running. You would see around 14 volts. Now you can apply various loads (blower, A/C, headlights, etc.) and see if you have any severe voltage drops. It really shouldn't drop much below 13 volts.

My passenger side window motor is a little tired... It really works hard to push the window up and sounds weak. My charging system is fine but the regulator is worn. That could be what you're experiencing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.