Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
05 Avalon Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 95 Avalon XLS since January and it's been excellent. I've put between 3-4K on it in the last two months or so long-distance commuting from home to school three times a week and the car has never failed me.

However, it's had a few minor problems. When I first bought the car, the horn was nonfunctional. I initially thought it was just something simple like a relay, but the issue was much more complex than that. Bear with me, as I am definitely not an expert on cars, but according to my mechanic, the actual horn mechanism in my steering column was worn to the point of not functioning, and ultimately, I had to bypass the original horn system and install an aftermarket horn button underneath the steering wheel.

Just a few weeks ago, the car began chiming nonstop as if the door were ajar with the keys in the ignition, even when all four doors were closed, and would only stop when the car was on, and today, I discovered that the aftermarket horn button has stopped working.

I am not entirely sure if all of this is connected, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems?

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
The door chiming could be a balky door switch, which is very common and easy to fix. Just peel back the rubber cover to reveal the one screw holding it in. Remove that screw to get the switch out. Then hose it down liberally with WD40 while working the switch. The screw is the ground path for the switch, so make sure it’s clean and not rusty.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had the same issue with my previous '99 and the horn. The contacts inside the column get bent or worn and only work when the airbag unit is pressed a certain way. I would get rid of that oversized buzzer button under your column cover. Pry out one of the switch blanks on the left of the wheel, drill a hole, and wire in a small momentary ON switch from your local electronics parts store. This is what I did 10 years ago in my 1st '99...worked out great.

·
Registered
05 Avalon Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, guys, thank you for your posts and sorry that it's been a while since I've last visited here.

Apparently, one of the connections in the aftermarket horn was loose, and I got it fixed on the spot shortly after posting this thread by the same mechanic who installed it.

The car has been excellent and I've probably put close to another 1,000 miles on it. As for the constant chiming, I'll investigate the cause of that further.

Also, Jagalag: that's actually a great idea, seeing as the horn button is currently in an awkward place and is somewhat annoying at times.

·
Just found TN and love it
82 Posts
I also have a 95. To fix the horn, I got another steering wheel from the junkyard and swapped mine out. Worked like a charm plus the steering wheel looks like new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts