Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, first post here. We've had a 95 Corolla DX 1.8 5-speed for a bit over 7 years now. It's got ~135k on it and has been a great car. It has recently been throwing the battery light on intermittently. I checked the voltage and the alternator was not putting out good voltage when the light was on. I had the alternator re-built at about 100k as the lights were dimming when I'd push in the clutch.

I took the alternator in and had it tested and it tested good. So I replaced the battery and that seemed to fix it for a week or so but then the light was back. It's gotten more and more persistent to the point that the battery was drained last night. Luckily my son was not far from town when it happened and I got him home by putting the old battery back in. The car is having no other mechanical or electrical issues.

I'm assuming it's the alternator as all of the charging stuff is concentrated there, I believe. I did a search of this forum and it seems the alternator is likely. But I wanted to check here first to see if I'm missing something before spending the money to get a new one or get this one rebuilt. Any input would be appreciated.

TIA.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
I've had a similar problem. When mines went dead they told me all i needed to do was change my brushes and that's what i did. Haven't given me much problems since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
alternator

make sure all your connections are good. A loose connection from the BAT terminal on the alternator ot the battery will cause a flickering battery light. Low idle speed will also cause the light to come on. Make sure you check your alternator fuses first, and full field the alternator to determine if it's the voltage regulator or alternator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts