Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting an HKS airfilter for my 95 Corolla. It's cheaper than the K&N one, but is it as good? And generally, are aftermarket filters on a stock intake worth it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got a K&N on my 93, you can't really feel a difference. Really all its good for is that it lasts as long as you have the car, and you can say your car is K&N equipped. If you want more power it really wont help, just make it breath better than stock.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today my dealer said that on newer model Camrys and Corollas, fibers from aftermarket filters tend to come off and mess up the MAF. He said that he hasn't seen this problem on Corollas like mine, and that it shouldn't be a problem.

Now I'm all scared about this, but I would still like an aftermarket cause they can be cleaned. You guys got any input?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
fibers from aftermarket filters tend to come off and mess up the MAF
Which is crap. The actual thing is, that the oil from the filters will come off and mess up the hot wire MAF, a AFM and MAP wont really be affected. Fibers have nothing to do with that thing and it was started by VW/AUDI guys who's cars had to be repaired because of the oil problem.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Interseting. You should probably let it sit for a few hours after oiling it (which you don't have to do that often) rather than slopping it up then slapping it in your box and screeching off.

I thin think the best thing is savings over the life of the car because you don't have to keep buying filters.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
You should probably let it sit for a few hours after oiling it
Well it wont matter, the suction of the engine will suck the oils residue even though you let it sit, because the oil itself wont dry up.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Ukrainian102 said:
What are AFM and MAP?
Those are the two types of sensors to determine how much air is being and needs to be let into the engine to achieve the desired 14.7:1 air/fuel mix.

AFM: Air Flow Meter - does exactly as the name implies.. measures the amount of air flowing through the air box and ajusts the flap accordingly.

MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure - this measures the amount of vacum from a constant point on the manifold and directly controls the air flow to suit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts