Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently purchased a "95 LE SC with with about 220K on it and I knew it had a few small issues to fix, the worst being an exhaust leak that made it sound like a VW bus, the loud sputter with a kind of chirpy sound on top of that. I fixed the leak last week and that took care of the sputter but I still have the chirpy sound(I know it's not the best description but thats the only word I can think of thats close to the sound). Anyone know what it could be? I really only notice it at higher rpm's and it is louder on the passenger side. Also, there is a knocking sound when I go over a bump from the rear of the vehicle, could this be a bushing of some sort that needs replacing or the shocks themselves? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
Hi all, I recently purchased a "95 LE SC with with about 220K on it and I knew it had a few small issues to fix, the worst being an exhaust leak that made it sound like a VW bus, the loud sputter with a kind of chirpy sound on top of that. I fixed the leak last week and that took care of the sputter but I still have the chirpy sound(I know it's not the best description but thats the only word I can think of thats close to the sound). Anyone know what it could be? I really only notice it at higher rpm's and it is louder on the passenger side. Also, there is a knocking sound when I go over a bump from the rear of the vehicle, could this be a bushing of some sort that needs replacing or the shocks themselves? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
:welcome: to TN.

I've got a whistle sound when I accelerate faster which stops when I slow down the rate of acceleration. My issue sounds like it's different than yours.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe that the chirping sound you are talking about is the common whistling sound all of us Previa owners go through. It comes from the exhaust but noone knows why..... Not even Toyota. It doesn't the reliability of the van. You can replace the entire exhaust system but the noise will only disappear for a little while. Many think it's because the Previa 's exhaust is straight. Also, you do have a supercharger and that only causes the sound. Have you checked the fluid in your supercharger?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, as long as it's nothing to worry about I can live with it. Anyone know have a guess about the knocking sound from the rear suspension? Also, My dash has a few places were the paint is worn off, is there a paint the can be purchased that matches the factory color and texture? Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
:welcome: to TN.

I've got a whistle sound when I accelerate faster which stops when I slow down the rate of acceleration. My issue sounds like it's different than yours.
The whistle you speak of may be the brake pads. There is a feeler gauge built in to the pads that comes into contact with the rotor a few months before the pad material is consumed. This is designed as a warning that you are near a metal to metal situation. The pitch of the whistle changes in relation to the speed of the vehicle.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a N/A 1992 ALLTRAC therefore sounds inherent to the SC are foreign to me. However, I have never heard the chirping you speak of. 270K miles strong. Alternately, the sound you hear from the rear IMO could be two things. 1. If the rear shocks are loose in their mounting and the rubber bushings are deteriated or missing, the shocks could be moving and striking the underbody of the van causing a loud noise. Otherwise, the spare tire mount could be loose and causing the spare to levitate on a large bump.

Again, not knowing the characteristic sounds of the SC'er and never having had the oportunity to see the underside of an SC I can only relate the opinion of the N/A van. But where the exhaust tubes come together to form the head pipe of the exhaust where the flange is that bolts to the exhaust outlet just before the first O2 sensor and which is just under the rear of the head near the area of the distributor, there is a heat shield surrounding the header I spoke of. This heat shield is merely a thin piece of soft metal wrapped around the header and tacked together on the underside of the header with weld. Time and rust will deteriorate the weld and it breaks loose and causes a rattle that, while driving, resembles an exhaust leak. When, in reality, it is nothing more than a broken spot weld. It is akin to a tingling sound which is produced by the thin metal being vibrated by the reverberations of the engine causing a rather medium to high pitched tingle.

·
Registered
'95 S/C (sold)
136 Posts
Thanks for the replies, as long as it's nothing to worry about I can live with it. Anyone know have a guess about the knocking sound from the rear suspension? Also, My dash has a few places were the paint is worn off, is there a paint the can be purchased that matches the factory color and texture? Thanks
I have the Brown/Beige interior and the "SEM Monterey 15723" paint matches the dash and door components. Otherwise, here's their color chart - http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/aerovinyl.aspx

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Have seen bad mufflers cause the chirpy sound. This usually happens on acceleration and does kind of sound like a vw. The fix is to replace the muffler. I am guessing a baffle inside the muffler comes loose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The van is still making the noise but the more I listen to it sounds more like the sound a weed eater makes when the string is long. Could the fan blades make this noise? Also, what does it sound like when the sads bushings are starting to go? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts