Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone Im Ronald II and so you know I did try to use the search options but it not working here the error

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1155088 bytes) in /usr/home/toyotanation/public_html/forum/search.php on line 1036

anyway I am a bit unpatience looking for problems I am haveing causes i beleaive it multiple problems.... my dad got this nice 4runner our first off road veh whole family loves it took it everywhere and anywhere we can get away with it was a good veh untill one day she started to loose power it got to the point we had to retire it since we like it so much we never got rid of it...now I am trying to bring it back to life my car broke down and the 4runner is all i got left to go to work...

now the reason why i beleiave it looseing power is causes there is no get up and go like befor on a flat way it trys so hard to reach 65mph i have to let it warm up befor i can drive it if i dont the engine idle drops and try to shut off the moment i put it in gear and i notice it was doing that so i step on the gas to get it to move and it whouldnt untill it slowly moves and get up to speed...and when i try to move it when it cold without steping on the gas it shuts down...and i had to crank the engine over for like 2 mins untill it starts again and i let it warm up....now the engine will start on the turn of the key as long i dont put it in gear right away ...

once it warm and gets going i have to turn off OD to keep the RPM high to keep it up to speed on a slight incline (i know if i floor it the tranny will kick back or down but when i do that i loose alot of speed so when i see a hill i swicth gears so i can keep my momenthium going sorry i am bad at spelling).....and here are some creepy moments...one time driveing on the freeway plus gong 35 through town let see if i can explaine this lol...the engine turns off i see the check engine light blink on and it idemtaly pop back on and start running again...now this is all hapening in less then a secound it was so fast that i didnt notice or didnt figgure out what it was...my dad said that happen to me...so i pay attention and saw the whole thing happen im steping on the gas all the sudnly the suv dose a move like u tap the break hard and let go.and it was fine after that.....comeing to a full stop to park the suv died while i was still rolling and when it died ALL electicals was off i couldnt even turn on the headlights....

also let you know i replace the battery I am going to replace the air filter i am useing 91 gas causes i thought it will be a lil easyer on the engine that had not been use for over a year till recently I have put in fuel system cleaning stuff...i am going to changed the oil and out oil treatment stuff in it ...

I beleiave i have mutiple problems Tourq converter could be damaged, there may be somekind of compression leak like bad gasket (looseing power) and the computer may be going out those are the three main thing i think is wrong...if anyone may know of others reasons why it haveing issuse ill be all ears (eyes) any help ideas advice will help causes i never delt with a toyota and now it under my care ....by the way i repair my own cars do it my self so options with DIY will be great to .... thank you oh if i didnt make sense or you need more info to better your answers for me let me know i am very tired so i may had sliped up...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sitting for a year it could be alot of things:

Old gas/gas with water in it - drain old gas, add jug of Chevron Techron to clean system and FI, perhaps change fuel filter too

Change plug wires, distributor cap and plugs using OEM stuff

Clean throttle body

Save your $ on oil additives - unless its a jug of Mystery Oil once

Do a compression check - head gaskets do indeed leak but usually you get overheating or water in antifreeze

Any engine codes (check engine light?) captured? Is cataylytic converter perhaps plugged up/restricted flow?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I all ready had gotten the oil stuff -_- so I might as well use it... i know it been sitting for a year but forgot to mention befor it was siting for a year we were trying to fix the problem and we did a tune up replace the wires, cap, rotar cap, spark plugs, and problem still there...but i will changed though on my next pay check...there is no check engine light today ill check ill jump those two connection and see if a code showes up...thanks for the ideas to ill clean the throttle body and check the cat

Now for the gas didnt know you can drain the gas thought the USA did there best to keep gas from getting out but i did run the car till the last drop then put in fresh gas from chevron and put in a fuel cleaning stuff in it....cleans everything

where is the car located is it a pretty straight forward task ? unbolt and should come out without haveing to take things apart ? i havent even seen the underside of that suv guese ill do that today. thank you ill come back with updates

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finaly got all the tune up going an such and i took it to the shop to find out why it still not working it have a blown head gasket well that explains everything 3500 to have it done dosnt sound bad but dont have the money hope that all the problem...well come back once that step is done thxs for your help

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It should not cost that much to have the head gasket replaced. You should get more quotes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts