Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is a 1995 4X4 pickup, non Tacoma, 22RE, 5 speed slight lift, K&N FIPK kit but otherwise stock. Driving home the other night, the truck just quit. It would start but seemed to only run on a couple cyl. Took off the coil/igniter, cap and wires and traded them for the ones off my '90 4X4 parts truck w/same engine. Little different, this '90 truck has a real coil with an igniter strapped to it, different type of cap and plugs. Swapped them, still no start. Installed new EFI relay, no start. What triggers the EFI relay? Just key on power or input from something else I should check? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scooter in Pgh, Pa.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
should definitely be from the ignition that triggers it.

Does it turn over?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The EFI relay is triggered by the IG2 feed off the ignition switch. It goes through the IGN fuse in the driver side kick panel, so check that. When the ignition switch is in the run position, one side of the IGN fuse should be hot (both sides if the fuse is good!), otherwise either the switch is bad, or bad connection. IG2 also powers the coil, igniter and fuel injectors, so, no IG2, no run.

If IG2 is okay, check that the FP terminal (fuel pump) in the gray check connector is hot when a helper is cranking the motor. If not, could be bad circuit opening relay, or a bad connection to it from the EFI relay or from the M/T Starter Relay. Lots of troubleshooting help for all these in the factory manual. If you don't have one, google 1993 toyota pickup service manual.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
there is a wire on teh distributor, make sure that is connected also.

VAFM plug, disconnect and try putting that in, just to be safe.

is your timing (ignition) also on time? when i was doing mine, i was 180 degrees opposite.... lawl

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That online 1993 manual I googled is great! Thanks for that one. I'm off to try some stuff. I have to get this baby running, my other vehicle has the exhaust system literally falling off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally took it down to the local garage. It was not getting fuel. I told him to just put a fuel pump in it. Well it turns out it was just a corroded wire that finally broke off and was not letting the pump do it's thing. He found it when the bed was off. So, I'm picking it up tomorrow. Thanks for the reply's folks, I'll be motoring on again! It lives!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Congrats on getting it going! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update - it's a good reminder for us about that FP connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts