Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2013 Sienna SE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cold starting it starts but has a hard time. Basically it sputters and if you dont give it gas it dies and once it dies and you keep trying to start it the engine seems to flood with gas and it wont start for awhile. This only happens when its cold. Also when you start it, it has a bit of a gas smell too.

Car has 219,000 miles.

· Registered
1995 Previa
104 Posts
Information from forum files

Ok, Previas have both cold start injector system and a fuel pressure up system.

UNDER THE DRIVER SEAT -- The cold start injector system consists of the cold start injector (located on the intake manifold), the start injector time switch (located below the coolant temperature sensor and coolant temp sender on the right front corner of the engine) and the ECU located under the driver's seat. The cold start injector adds extra fuel to the intake air to make starting easier. To prevent flooding, the injection time is limited by the time switch and a timer in the ECU. The ECU can operate the injector for up to 3 seconds regardless of the status of the time switch. If the coolant is above 113'F (35'C) the cold start injector will not work. Problems can be: Clogged injector, malfuntioning time switch, malfuntioning coolant temperature sender, defective wiring or ECU.

The fuel pressure up system consists of the fuel pressure regulator, the vacuum switching valve, vacuum tubing and the ECU. This system ups the fuel pressure for the first 2 minutes after starting to increase fuel flow by opening the manifold (Vacuum) refernce line to the atmosphere. If the vacuum line is clogged your fuel pressure stays high, using more gas. If your VSV does not work, you get less fuel pressure than needed for cold start.

Check your vacuum hoses and tubes to make sure they are in the right places and not clogged. There is a diagram under the hood or on the access panel under the driver's seat

Check your throttle position sensor. If it is loose or broken, it will cause an unstable idle. Previas are known for breaking the wires to the TPS. I extended the wires on my 92.

Good Luck

Rickrolla
92 Previa 5Speed 329,000km
91 Corolla Wagon 448,000km

· Registered
2013 Sienna SE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your adivise. I was away on a trip and am back and now I noticed I have gas coming out of my exhaust piping right under my manifold. I think my engine is flooded with gas when I try to cold start. Im guessing I should first replace the start injector time switch. Im gonna look for it right now.

· freezz
95 All-Trac s/c
7 Posts
i know this is an old thread, but i believe i have a bad cold start injector valve, could anyone please tell me where it is. Toyota dealership schematics are sketchy and not accurate since they indicate that it is on the throttle body housing. i traded out the timer switch and coolant switch is new. thanks for any info

· Registered
97 Previa DX AWD; 97 4Runner 5 spd
632 Posts
i know this is an old thread, but i believe i have a bad cold start injector valve, could anyone please tell me where it is. Toyota dealership schematics are sketchy and not accurate since they indicate that it is on the throttle body housing. i traded out the timer switch and coolant switch is new. thanks for any info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.