Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my '95 Prizm for almost a year and a half now and I still love this little sucker to death. Far and away the BEST car-buying decision I've EVER made!!!

A couple issues I'm thinkin' about.

Since I originally got it and did all the fluids, brakes, spark plugs, myself...(I did have to buy 1 tire)...I haven't really done anything to it. I let the guy that handle our work truck change my oil since it only costs me the price of the filter. And they always keep reminding me that my power steering pump is leaking and I really should replace it.

I've been simply filling it when it gets low for a year and a half now. Any reason to get serious about maybe changing it???? Is it hard and/or expensive???

The other thing is that I've noticed at idle it'll "hiccup" every once in a while. It almost felt like a slight tranny surge, but it does it in neutral too, so I don't think so. I haven't changed the spark plug wires, or cap or rotor. Could that be it??

My original idea was to keep her runnin' as cheap as possible for as long as possible..........(hopefully 'til the '08 rollas come out)..............

???
TIA

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
Power steer pump is really easy to replace, but it leaving won't cause any problems. (other than making a big mess under you bonnet)

Miss fire is most likley leads or rotor/cap.

Not alot goes wrong on these cars.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume by "leads" you mean "wires"???

When I married my wife she had a Geo Spectrum ('89 and, no, I'm not a Geo freak, it just happened so....LOL) and I actually paid a friggin' mechanic to find out that one of her spark plug wire boots had a slice in it and was grounding to the cylinder head. Of course the mechanic didn't know what it was either 'til he hooked it up to his diagnostics machine & noticed the miss one cylinder #3.

Replacement rubber boot ........$5
5 minutes on the diagnostic machine.......$50

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

Anyway, sounds like I might comb over the wires ("leads") pretty good and check out the cap & rotor. Maybe buy the poor girl a little sumfin' since she's been so good to me for over a year already, eh??

:naughty:

G

·
0 Posts
yea that hiccup could be a misfire like he said, i would change spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor since you havent just to be nice to her since she has been so nice to you. I wouldnt replace the power steering pump if you are trying to keep it running for cheap, just keep adding fluid :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
ghost_ryder35, this guy is so funny, he wants his baby serving well without making any expences.
MAN......cars are like gurls.....if you want best out of them, spend some on them. :lol:

No need to buy brand new parts sometimes you can get good quality used ones with 3 to 6 months warrenty as well.

G

·
0 Posts
bonnie* said:
ghost_ryder35, this guy is so funny, he wants his baby serving well without making any expences.
MAN......cars are like gurls.....if you want best out of them, spend some on them. :lol:

No need to buy brand new parts sometimes you can get good quality used ones with 3 to 6 months warrenty as well.
yea my all-trac that i drive right now i got for 1000 dollars. put 30 thousand miles on and I have only changed all of the fluids, and done preventive maintence such as waterpump, t-belt, thermostat etc... nothing has broke, and I hope it stays that way. well except for my radiator fan ;)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gang.....(yes, even BOnnie...LOL) ;)

Well, I took a good look at everything tonight & looks like she could DEFINITELY use some new wires, cap & rotor.

I sanded down all contacts a bit, but she's due!

cap & rotor contacts were kinda' hairy w/ fuzz.......:naughty: .....but not completely breakin' apart yet.

One of the spark plug wires (when pulled) would let go on the spark-plug side at the crimped little tang. I kept putting it back in & couldn't feel it "snap" onto the spark plug end 'til I looked down the hole & realized the metal tang was still on the back of the spark plug......LOL!!

And she STILL purrs like a cat!! :D

Anyway................if I might ask................

Is it OK to get these from AutoZone/PepBoys/whatever or should I just get Toyota OEM???

What's fair prices for the stuff so I don't get ripped off??

TIA!!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, FWIW, here's how it broke down.........

AutoZone

Cap = $29.99
Rotor = $2.95
Wires = $39.99 (or Bosch for $59)

Toyota

Cap = $44.00
Rotor = $10.00
Wires = $70.00

1 - 9 of 9 Posts