Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the left front wheel bearing on my 95 Tacoma. It drives smoothly now and is quiet.

However whenever I brake now, I can hear (and feel in the brake pedal) the ABS system activating as I slow to about 5 mph. Otherwise everything seems fine. The ABS light is not on.

When I picked up the knuckle from the machine shop, I did not look to confirm that the tone ring was positioned correctly (to be opposite the sensor). So I guess my question is... if the tone ring was put on the wrong end of the bearing and the sensor therefore is not reading anything, would that create the symptom that I have?

If not, how do I approach this problem?

Note: I did not remove the sensor from the knuckle as I feared breaking it. I unplugged it under the hood and kept the wire attached.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,309 Posts
I would think if the sensor wasn't picking up the "ring" that you'd have a code? Also since you don't have a CEL I wonder if it's something non-electrical or possibly not even coming from that wheel. You must have a fancy Tacoma because my 1995 T100 doesn't have ABS :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - thanks for the reply.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing - that if it was not reading the tone ring the ABS lite and/or the CEL would be on. Nothing else was disturbed except the LF wheel.

I am thinking of maybe disconnecting the battery to reset the ECM. Maybe unplugging the sensor and plugging it back in caused this(?)

I'm not the original owner of this truck. It has virtually every option I think they they offered on the 95 - it has the sunroof etc. But it does not have a sliding rear window (I don't know if they offered it then?)

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,309 Posts
You can pull the EFI relay under the hood for a few minutes to reset the ECM as well.
Good chance you have a OBD2 port like my 95'. Might be worth plugging a scanner in that can detect ABS/SRS codes. Could be one stored or pending.
Sunroof! Wow, that is extremely rare!
They make after-market rear sliding windows for about $200 or you can get really state-of-the-Art for just over $400 and go with a Power Slider!
I wish my ECM would allow the Supercharger :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah okay good ideas (relay and read codes). I will do both. Thanks.

You know now that you mention it, I don't think I have seen another Tacoma with the sunroof.

(I just added an avatar of my truck)

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,309 Posts
Looks like a nice ride! How many miles? Does it have the same 3.4 V6 my T100 has? I think over on the T100 forum I've only heard one guy mention having a sunroof, (factory one). It was on a 97' SR5 T100

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
307,xxx miles. Yes it's the 3.4 V6. I know that at some point it had head gaskets done.

It runs really well, but unfortunately it needs some help body-wise at this point (I took that photo when I first got it). I was driving one night and a deer ran into the SIDE of me on the drivers side. And the frame up front on the drivers side is cracking and is going to need to be welded.

It is my main driver. I also have a 2001 Pre-Runner with low miles. It looks and runs great but unfortunately it has frame issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts