Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today as I was driving my car and it started jerking and turning off. I could turn it back on and it started right up and I could drive, but if I stopped then my car would turn off again. So I started putting it in drive then when I would come near a stop change to neutral and then put it in drive when the light turned green so I could go.
I'm not sure exactly what is wrong.
Some suggestions I got was that it was the alternator or the battery cables?
I'm not exactly sure though. Any suggestions?

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
The Jerking sounds like you have a clogged fuel filter to me, have u changed it?

If your battery light goes on, i think its ur alternator. But it might be fuel related... Could also be battery cables, if they are loose try and alter connector tip shape, so they tighten snug. and clean them if they have green on em its called oxide i think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Jerking sounds like you have a clogged fuel filter to me, have u changed it?

If your battery light goes on, i think its ur alternator. But it might be fuel related... Could also be battery cables, if they are loose try and alter connector tip shape, so they tighten snug. and clean them if they have green on em its called oxide i think.

Well my dad cleaned the battery cables and tightened them and now it's starting and it's sort of doing the jerking thing, but my dad said that his friend at work (considering they work at NAPA auto parts) told him that it sounds like it could be the throttle sensor. Someone else told me the same thing that it would be the throttle sensor. He's going to change it right now and I'll see what happens.

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
Alternator's are free to have tested at almost any parts store and it's worth eliminating as a possibility. When they have problems, it can wreak havoc with the entire electrical system including the fuel injectors, sensors, automatic transmission and almost anything else with an electrical connector.

Also, the spark plugs on that engine are recessed near the oil filler cap and prone to get oil spillage into their holes. Plug #1 on the far left is especially susceptable to this. Bad/wet plugs and wires can cause the jerking you describe as well as stalling under load when idling (IE the car being in drive when not moving).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alternator's are free to have tested at almost any parts store and it's worth eliminating as a possibility. When they have problems, it can wreak havoc with the entire electrical system including the fuel injectors, sensors, automatic transmission and almost anything else with an electrical connector.

Also, the spark plugs on that engine are recessed near the oil filler cap and prone to get oil spillage into their holes. Plug #1 on the far left is especially susceptable to this. Bad/wet plugs and wires can cause the jerking you describe as well as stalling under load when idling (IE the car being in drive when not moving).

My dad checked the alternator and it's completely fine.
The spark plugs are fine as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh and the throttle sensor and battery were changed, but didn't do much to help the jerking. The dying doesn't happen as often because when I'm coming to a stop I have to put it in neutral and then when I have to drive I put it in drive.

Although my dad is going to put this cleaner in for the throttle which is connected to the transmission I believe. It has these things inside of it that open up to let air in to keep your car going and when your at a stop, it barely opens so it can still stay on. What could be happening is those things are closing while I'm stopped and are possibly getting stuck and that is what is causing my car to turn off at a stop and possibly the jerking while i am trying to go at a higher speed.
This was suggested by my dad's friend's dad who is a mechanic. So hopefully this works.

G

·
My dad checked the alternator and it's completely fine.
The spark plugs are fine as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh and the throttle sensor and battery were changed, but didn't do much to help the jerking. The dying doesn't happen as often because when I'm coming to a stop I have to put it in neutral and then when I have to drive I put it in drive.

Although my dad is going to put this cleaner in for the throttle which is connected to the transmission I believe. It has these things inside of it that open up to let air in to keep your car going and when your at a stop, it barely opens so it can still stay on. What could be happening is those things are closing while I'm stopped and are possibly getting stuck and that is what is causing my car to turn off at a stop and possibly the jerking while i am trying to go at a higher speed.
This was suggested by my dad's friend's dad who is a mechanic. So hopefully this works.
If cleaning the throttle body and IAC doesn't work, replace the fuel filter. If that doesn't work, suspect the fuel pressure or EGR problem. How many miles on it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.