Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a auto 96 4-runner limited edition. this morning when i went to work, i notice
the check engine light came on. all of a sudden, the engine start shaking when i step on the gas pedal. i can smell oil or gas burning. what might cause this??:confused:

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Plug an OBD-II scanner into it and see what codes pop up.
If you dont have a scanner, you can go to AutoZone and they will check your codes for free.
Id bet its some kind of a sensor that failed (oxygen sensor failed or MAF needs to be cleaned/replaced), but the codes will tell you exactly whats going on.
Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after i get the code, do autozone tell me whats wrong??is there a thread on here for codes??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i got the code it's P0306 a misfired in cylinder 6. would this be due to
sparkplugs, or the sparkplug wires. to be honest, i am the thrid owner of the car,
i had it for a year, the car have 125,000 miles on it, and i haven't changed the
sparkplug or wires yet. i don't know if the past owner did either. i hope it's the sparkplug and wires only. save me a lot more money.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Most likely its a problem related to sparkplugs or sparkplug wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watch out if any recall work was done on the head gasket you may be in for a world of hurt. I am now having to replace the engine. It has the engine light on and started rocking. I didn't get it looked at right away.

·
Registered
'96 4Runner Limited.
31 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and inspect them. They should appear light tan. If they are black you're running a rich mixture or have excess oil in the cylinder. If they have more than 30K miles on them they might need replacing. Check the plug gap. If it's excessive and if the electrodes are worn, the plugs need replacing. 4Runners use dual-electrode spark plugs (two side electrodes). Use the correct plugs if you replace them. If the spark plugs are original (have 125K miles on them) I'd say that's at least part of your problem right there.

If you have an ohmeter you can test the spark plug cables also. A big difference in resistance means a problem with the wires. Obviously, if there are bad connectors they will need replacing. The best wires are the Toyota brand. If your wires are original they should probably be replaced.

Check the coolant level. If it's disappearing you might have a bad gasket and be leaking coolant into the combustion chamber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts