Toyota Nation Forum banner

96 5fse won't start

895 Views 28 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  borwish
My car has been sitting for about three months with a disconnected battery. Now it won't start. The battery seems fine. With the key in the ignition and turned to on the dash lights come on like they should, headlights, radio, etc... If I try to crank the car I hear a click and then everything dies. There's no sign of life at all. If I wait a very short while everything will return to life with the key out, but trying to crank gives the same results.

There is some sort of car alarm that was already installed when I bought the car many years ago. It only goes off though when I change the battery and and then open the door. I'm not really sure how to turn it off. Sometimes I just turn the key in the ignition and sometimes I have to also flip a small toggle switch where the door and dash come together.

I assume a serious electrical fault. Any help about where to start is appreciated.

Thanks,
Borwish
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
From what you are describing, it sounds like a weak battery, not the alarm system!
If it is the alarm, you would still have electrical power to the other circuits, but yours is not the case!
Would check and recharge the battery then try again! Also check all the connections as well!

· Registered
96 camry 2.2
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise. I tried a jump pack and got the same results. The battery shows 12.6 volts and my smart battery charger says it's charged.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Check you connections then, make sure they are clean and tight! Remove them clean them as necessary, both pos and neg!

BTW, when using the jumper, connect the neg to the engine metal surface, instead of the battery, see if that makes any difference!

· Registered
96 camry 2.2
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe it's a battery issue, but I do appreciate your help. My thought is rodent (no signs) or corrosion damage. I can wait a short while and everything will show life again until I try to crank. I can also unhook the battery and reconnect it to get lights immediately. When hooking the battery back up the turn signals will flash briefly. Is this normal?

Is there an electrical troubleshooting guide somewhere for no crank? I pulled the horn relay so I don't disturb the neighbors.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
I don't believe it's a battery issue, but I do appreciate your help. My thought is rodent (no signs) or corrosion damage. I can wait a short while and everything will show life again until I try to crank. I can also unhook the battery and reconnect it to get lights immediately. When hooking the battery back up the turn signals will flash briefly. Is this normal?

Is there an electrical troubleshooting guide somewhere for no crank? I pulled the horn relay so I don't disturb the neighbors.
The T/S flashes is probably cause by the alarm system!
You may have to disconnect the cables and terminals to check, visual inspection sometimes might not get the full picture. Take the cables off from the battery terminals, use a wire brush to clean them, then put them back on, make sure they are tight! If that doesn;t help, work you way towards the fuse block in the engine compartment!

You can serach the forum for no crank situations on vehicle, don't believe there is any guide for any particular model though!

· Registered
96 camry 2.2
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it started for some reason. The only thing I did different was I wanted to make sure that the alt fuse wasn't blown so I made sure that the radio and clock were working since it was described as not working for someone else with a blown alt fuse. They were working. It would not crank. I wanted to see if the a/c blower would work The battery was still unhooked and I reconnected it.

In the process of messing around I went to put the cruise control cover in the car and opened the passenger side door. This made the alarm go off. I took out the hour relay so only the turn signal lights were flashing. I got in the car to stop the alarm. When I put the key in and turned it to stop the alarm the car started. It was a slow start, but it has been a few months. I'm letting it run now for a bit since it's been a while I need to top off the tires and put on new wiper blades for sure. I don't trust it of course until I find the issue.

There are no warning lights, but the battery was disconnected so I don't expect there to be any.

· Administrator
14,641 Posts
I’ve had the same symptoms once. Turned out to be a loose battery connection.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Still goes back to connection issue!
Whenever you lost power from a fully charged battery, it goes back to the connections, that's why check both postive and negative connection is essential. It is simple, but can be time consumming; you have to work from the battery out one connection at a time.

· Registered
96 camry 2.2
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to try replacing the battery cables and see what happens. Years ago a Buick was giving me fits and the problem with the cable was only able to be seen once you sliced it open. More rain, so who knows when I can get back at it.

· Registered
202 Posts
how old is the battery? if 5 years or more it needs to be replaced regardless, also put a voltmeter and measure the voltage when attempting to crank. do not buy cheap starters there have been reports on some of the starter gears falling off and getting lodged between the flywheel and housing of the too cheap to believe starters.

· Registered
96 camry 2.2
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how old is the battery? if 5 years or more it needs to be replaced regardless, also put a voltmeter and measure the voltage when attempting to crank. do not buy cheap starters there have been reports on some of the starter gears falling off and getting lodged between the flywheel and housing of the too cheap to believe starters.

The battery is 1 year and 3 months old. My DMM shows 12.6 volts and the smart charger says it's charged. I have not been able to see voltage while trying to crank, but it did start once after I disconnected/reconnected the neg terminal for something. I have an old starter from my wife's old Camry if needed. I will change the battery cables at first chance.

· Registered
68 Posts
From what you are describing, it sounds like a weak battery, not the alarm system!
If it is the alarm, you would still have electrical power to the other circuits, but yours is not the case!
Would check and recharge the battery then try again! Also check all the connections as well!
The battery is 1 year and 3 months old. My DMM shows 12.6 volts and the smart charger says it's charged. I have not been able to see voltage while trying to crank, but it did start once after I disconnected/reconnected the neg terminal for something. I have an old starter from my wife's old Camry if needed. I will change the battery cables at first chance.
check the battery with a voltage meter. 12.5 to 13.5 volts

· '00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
1,785 Posts
I would put the battery on an external charger (6/10 amp) overnight / for a day - and see if that rejuvenates the battery. Otherwise, I'd pull the battery and have it tested at the local auto parts store (draw down/amp test), if here.

· Registered
1998 Camry 4 cylinder, 2004 Highlander V6, 2000 Chevy Express 4.3 V6
97 Posts
I have one of these in each of my cars. You can monitor the voltage while you are trying to start the car. If it drops a lot, then battery is bad or terminal clamps are bad/loose.

Camera accessory Technology Font Cameras & optics Electronic device

1 - 20 of 29 Posts