Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace a leaking rear brake line. No big deal, been there, done that.

When I went to purchase the new line and fittings at the local auto supply store the guy says what type of flare is it? Well the only flare I've worked with is a double. He tells me it might be something different based on the model of the car.

Can anyone tell me if a 96 Toyota Camry has a something different? I've done a search on this and have found nothing. Can I assume the lines are double flared?

Before I buy the parts it would help if I knew what the vehicle currently has.

Thanks

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Hmmm. Have you tried rockauto.com? Maybe just tell the place your getting the parts from to cross reference it with these OEM part numbers? I hope that helps a little. :)

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
It's time to replace a leaking rear brake line. No big deal, been there, done that.

When I went to purchase the new line and fittings at the local auto supply store the guy says what type of flare is it? Well the only flare I've worked with is a double. He tells me it might be something different based on the model of the car.

Can anyone tell me if a 96 Toyota Camry has a something different? I've done a search on this and have found nothing. Can I assume the lines are double flared?

Thanks
As far as I know its a double flare, I just replaced the rear brake lines on my 95 before inspection this month and they were double flare. It may have changed in 96 though?

·
イリジウム
13,506 Posts
How about getting a pre-fab line from the dealer?

These cars use SAE double-flare. (European and newer Detroits are supposed to be on ISO Metric "bubble flare"). Single flares are illegal for use on brake lines.

The thing to watch is the correct tubing size. They can be metric or SAE. I'm not sure if the US made Toyotas are SAE or not.

Thanks

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
These cars use SAE double-flare. (European and newer Detroits are supposed to be on ISO Metric "bubble flare"). Single flares are illegal for use on brake lines.
The funny thing is its okay to use a compression union to pass inspection (in PA anyways) Which I think is 100x more dangerous than a single flare.

I used 3/16" Brake line Double flared, re-used the fittings on the old brake lines.

·
イリジウム
13,506 Posts
Yeah, many people interchange 3/16" SAE and 4.75mm Metric. However, it's not supposed to be done.

Yes, compression union on brake line is very dangerous. It can blow apart under pressure.

I wonder if anything goes in PA. :naughty:

The funny thing is its okay to use a compression union to pass inspection (in PA anyways) Which I think is 100x more dangerous than a single flare.

I used 3/16" Brake line Double flared, re-used the fittings on the old brake lines.

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Would .01mm difference between 3/16" and 4.75mm really affect it that much? If so I will look into making sure I use the correct brake line next time! :thumbsup:

Pennsylvania has a lot of Relaxed inspection laws. It all depends on where you live too. Where I live, there is no emissions .. but on the other hand if you drive 1.5 hours to Erie, PA they have strict emissions laws and require you to get emissions checked as well. I guess PA is better than NY State.. They are only required to get a vehicle registered. No inspection Laws. You should see the POS vehicles that come to PA from NY State. haha

Yeah, many people interchange 3/16" SAE and 4.75mm Metric.

I wonder if anything goes in PA. :naughty:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I'll get it up on a lift Tuesday and take a measurement on the line. Hopefully there's a spot or two that is not caked with surface rust.

Yea the cars in NY can be pretty bad. Rust never sleeps and the salt spread here is a joke. Might as well take the plow blades off in some areas.

Bought a new 2008 Tundra and get it sprayed every year with Rustop which is a penetrating oil / film. So far the under carriage looks great and it does not affect the warranty.

I don’t think I’ll keep the truck as long as this Camry but who knows. If the new Tundra doesn’t get my juices flowing then I’ll keep this one so the preventative under coating may pay off in the long run.

I’ll post when I get the line diameter for future posts.

Thanks again.

t-bone59

·
イリジウム
13,506 Posts
I doubt 0.01mm would make a difference. But I'll have to dig around for the original words and get back.

Would .01mm difference between 3/16" and 4.75mm really affect it that much? If so I will look into making sure I use the correct brake line next time!

·
イリジウム
13,506 Posts
Ok, looks like SAE double flare should be fine with 3/16" lines meeting J1047 standard (SAE sizes), 8000 psi minimum. Metric sizes use the J1290 standard.

That's why some owners interchange both -- as long as the flare nut is the correct size. So Perkins is right, 0.01mm won't make a difference on SAE double flares. So I correct myself.

However, the problem is with ISO metric bubble flare on later model cars. Owners must use the correct SAE or metric sized lines with ISO bubble flares. (Again, would 0.01mm matter here? Dont know. But I'd be careful with ISO flares.)

FedHill brake line FAQ:
http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=tech2#3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts