Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Camry DX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out driving the Camry today and decided to roll the windows down. Well i went to roll my back ones up first and i i started with the right one. It went up just fine. Then the left one would not roll up with the master switch, so i used the switch on the back seat driver's side door...it worked.

So i rolled it back down and tried again with the master switch (on the driver's side that controls all of the windows. It rolled down with the master switch but would not roll up.) I then rolled the driver window up and it would not roll up. Now, none of the windows will roll up or down (both on the driver side are down while the others are still rolled up (tried to roll them down but they wouldnt.

I tried the power door locks as well... neither one on either side would work. I tried to lock my doors with my key and they wouldnt work either.

Does this sound like a fuse problem? Or relay problem? How can i fix this?

-Andrew

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
There is a 30A Power Fuse and also a Power Main Relay ... these work the windows and door locks.

So as a first thing to check, see if you can locate them. They should be in a box to the left of the steering column ... someplace over by the coin tray.

... I'm not sure if you have to remove one of the finish panels to get to these.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Camry DX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realized it was a fuse that caused all my windows to not work. The 30A fuse that controls the windows and power locks. Now 3 of my 4 windows roll up and down but I am still having trouble with the back rear one.

I have wiggled the wire boot in between the door and the rest of the car to see if there was possibly a short in the wiring for the back window to roll up but so far I havent noticed anything so I am believing there isnt a short in the wire for the window. Also, when i hit the switch to roll the window down, i can hear electricity go to the motor but the window will not go down (as it is already as far down as it will go but when i roll the window up, i pull the switch and i can not hear the little "click" (electricity going to the motor) so does that mean the motor is bad?

Also, with the power door locks. They still do not work. When i hit the button to lock them on the driver side master switch, it does nothing, however when i hit the unlock button, there is a clicking sound (coming from the passenger side) followed by the door locks trying to unlock, but they don't. Another thing to add is when I wigged the wire boot on the back left door, the power locks made that clicking sound followed by the sound that the locks make when they do lock and unlock.

What does that mean? I am not an electrician so I do not know how to diagnose this problem and I dont know how to fix it. I also see where people say to remove the boot and check for tearing/torn wires as those might be the problem. But how do you remove this boot when it is all one piece? Any info or pics on how to do it will help out alot.

Also, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Gen 3 Camry?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
As far as something easy to try out, get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner ... plastic safe variety ... Spray this liberally into the window and door lock switches. Move the switches around ... maybe it will improve the switch action.

If you want to inspect the wires going from the door to the fender ... looking for broken wires, you can carefully cut the rubber piece off ... and then replace it with something called wire loom. This is a plastic, corrugated, split seam material ... most good parts stores carry it in different diameters. ... Just a suggestion though ... it ought to work.

... Sounds like you might have some sort of lubrication problems with your windows or door locks. The only thing to do there is to remove the door panels and see if you can find the moving and sliding parts that would benefit from some sort of silicone grease or teflon lubricant.

You can download the entire factory service manual, including wiring diagram in pdf format ... $15 subscription fee:
http://www.techinfo.toyota.com/

For additional information ... try the forum search box ... various keywords ... See the main forum page, top right ...

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
You need to fix that.

You might want to disconnect the ground cable of your battery first, so that you don't have any accidental short circuits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.