Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just bought a 1996 corolla and it was taken care of, also it was just safety inspected. I'm not getting as many KMs as I was expecting. I get about 350km out of 40L's, everyone else I know with the same car gets about 430 to 490kms with 80% city 20% highway. I smell gas out of my exhaust on cold startups. Could this be an 02 sensor problem? Any other ideas what could be decreasing my mileage this much?

Also does anyone know how many 02 sensors there are on a 96 corolla 1.6?

Thanks allot

-James

·
4AFESPEED
93 Geo Prizm
269 Posts
im pretty sure it's just one on the manifold itself

I have a good working used 02 off my 93 if you need it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, the o2 sensor that i can see is just below the exhaust manifold on the main exhaust pipe that runs back.

I just dropped it off to my mechanic. Well see what he has to say about it tomorrow.
If i need it, maybe we can arrange something.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mechanic changed the spark plugs they were warn out. The car runs better and better millage so far, but the smell of gas is still coming from the exhaust when i first start it in the morning.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
There are 2 O2 sensors on the 1.6 and 1.8, the main one used for fuel control and mileage is the main one u saw screwed into the main exhaust pipe when u look down into the engine compartment. remove that one to get the best milaege from your car. U R gonna need an O2 sensor wrench , 22mm is the deep socket size, u can get it at advance auto parts. Trust me, change it out and u will notice A BIG improvemnt in fuel economy. Mine took 35 minutes ta do. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, cool. have you ever noticed the smell of gas from your exhaust before you changed yours? and does the new 02 sensor have to match the other one or anything like that? or can i just buy one (that fits my car) and put it in without worrying about the other one?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I never had a smell of gas from my exhaust, but here's what u need ta do. buy an OEM sensor, it has to match the old one u take out, Bosch makes the best OEM O2 sensors. put some anti sieze compound on the threads of the new sensor, and make it snug but dont overtighten it in the exhaust pipe. U really dont need ta change the other one affter the cat converter unless it starts giving u problems, ,also that one is very hard ta remove. the wire connector goes into the floor panel and u have to remove the carpet and front passenger seat to access it. I couldnt even do mine so I left it alone and I have 144,000 miles and no porblem so far with the rear sensor. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts