Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 corolla 1.8 liter. My car stopped driving and couldn't crank anymore. I opened the head and saw small cracks on the belt. When I removed the timing belt, I saw like 2 teeth on the belt was cracked. Also.I had to retime the timing belt gears too I think the gears jumped or something. What could have caused this to happen. I am thinking either doing burnouts caused this, something went inside damaged it, or there was a defect in the belt.

Also, anyone have pictures of where the drive belts go on this car? I got the power steering belt on but do not know how the other 2 go on. Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the belt is only 20 k old.
I got my friend to let me look at his corolla.

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
Your description matches "normal" wear and tear, but not the 20k. I think someone lied to you about when the belt was changed.

-SP

·
11,513 Posts
Your description matches "normal" wear and tear, but not the 20k. I think someone lied to you about when the belt was changed.

-SP
Not if the belt was not installed correctly and/or the person installing it got water or oil on it, Sweat would count as water and/or oil.

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
Ohhh boyyy! That would be a few gallons of sweat to actually affect the performance of a belt! The belt is essentially waterproof. Rubber does not absorb water. It does absorb oil but usually only engine oil gets on it from seal leakage.

Cracks are from physical wear and ozone.

BTW- I do rubber testing and research so I do have an idea what I'm talking about.

-SP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts