Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m new here so hello everyone. I have a 96 land cruiser I guess it’s a 80 series maybe. I’m new to land cruisers as well. I got this one from my dad who owned it for 9 years before me. I took it on it’s first off-road adventure thru a place called Sequatchie cove. It’s a rough ride but we didn’t go far. First thing you have to do to get on the trail is cross a creek. We did. Water cane not over the hood but my son was touching water with his hand without leaning so kinda deep for a stock setup. On our way back through, we made it fine but it started running like something is stopped up. Idles great, revs great in park or neutral. When I put it in gear, it sputters and will die if I don’t let off. I have a code reader. Not sure exact wording but I said something to the effect of “ exhaust reburn clogged “. Someone said maybe cat convert. Stopped up. I revved on it in park to maybe blow it out and it didn’t help at all. It is now idling a little rough.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,766 Posts
Well that sucks! Vacuum leak, idle control valve, dirty maf. Maybe be time for some preventive maintenance. ERG valve maybe clogging up.
Spray MAF cleaner, plugs, wires etc. Get back to a starting point. Tank of good gas.
Besides the idle how does it do going down the road, normal driving? Do you know much of the maintenance history?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that sucks! Vacuum leak, idle control valve, dirty maf. Maybe be time for some preventive maintenance.
Spray MAF cleaner, plugs, wires etc. Get back to a starting point. Tank of good gas.
Besides the idle how does it do going down the road, normal driving? Do you know much of the maintenance history?
Will drive down the road but only at an idle. If I give it gas, it’ll sputter badly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will drive down the road but only at an idle. If I give it gas, it’ll sputter badly
Not sure about maintenance history. It acts like something is clogged and not letting the exhaust out. Maybe cat conv

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,766 Posts
Does it have O2 sensors before and after the cat? I don't think it does. removing the cat doesn't cause any harm that I'm aware of, I've had friends here in CA. cut them open and hollow them out and weld them shut to pass the visual during a smog. They experienced better exceleration ( not crazy more but some) Noise increased too.
Bad cats usually throw a code. It does need a good muffler for the back pressure they create.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no idea about the sensors. I think I will try and cut it off and weld the muffler back on. I will repost if this works

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,766 Posts
It most likely has one before the cat since it gathers the data to send to the ecm for air fuel ratios.
Let me know how it pans out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts