Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I have a 96 Tacoma that has a 4cyl and 5 speed. It starts fine in cold weather but now that warmer weather in coming (70's) it is becoming harder to start. The only time I have a problem with it is after the motor is warmed up, never on a cold start. Last summer it started giving me trouble but when the colder weather came, it went away. It cranks easy and acts like it's not getting fuel or fire, one or the other, I figure. I changed the fuel filter last year but that didn't seem to help. Has anyone else had any trouble like this? This truck has 210,000 miles on it but it runs like a top.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
532 Posts
Check your fuel pressure after shutting down. If the pressure bleeds down quickly after shut down I would suspect a leaky injector flooding the cylinder or a fuel pressure regulator not holding pressure therefore leading to a longer crank time needed to rebuild fuel pressure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise. I was wondering about the fuel pressure bleeding off. Flooding sound more like it. If it would not start and just crank, crank, crank then it was kind of acting like it was flooded. If it doesn't start right up I can just let it sit for about one or two minutes and then it starts like it never had a problem. I'll check the fuel pressure.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bl

Just wondering if you resolved the starting issue? I have a 98 4 runner which I am having similar issues with. Typically it is fine on cold starts(not all the time though) but after sitting for a few hours, it quickly flirts with the idea of starting but then typically I need to keep cranking until it finally starts. It also seems worst in warmer weather. My opinion is that it is flooding by the way it starts and usually smell gas/see smoke out of tailpipe. Once it starts, it seems to run fine! My mechanic worked for Toyota for 25 years+...has him stimied. Changed 2 injectors earlier this year as the resistance reading was high and just replaced these again thinking one may be leaking....was not the problem. We have discussed excessive fumes due to charcoal canister issues flooding the engine, Mass Air Flow, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated as getting frustrated.
Thanks, BL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering if you resolved the starting issue? I have a 98 4 runner which I am having similar issues with. Typically it is fine on cold starts(not all the time though) but after sitting for a few hours, it quickly flirts with the idea of starting but then typically I need to keep cranking until it finally starts. It also seems worst in warmer weather. My opinion is that it is flooding by the way it starts and usually smell gas/see smoke out of tailpipe. Once it starts, it seems to run fine! My mechanic worked for Toyota for 25 years+...has him stimied. Changed 2 injectors earlier this year as the resistance reading was high and just replaced these again thinking one may be leaking....was not the problem. We have discussed excessive fumes due to charcoal canister issues flooding the engine, Mass Air Flow, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated as getting frustrated.
Thanks, BL
I have had some serious starting issuesalmost identical to yours. I haven't had problems with smoking after starting though. Runs perfect and I have replaced everything I can think of other than the MAF, IAC and ECU.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, BL
No sorry to say that I haven't fixed anything yet. It's only gave me touble maybe 4 times in the last 2 months so I haven't investigated any further. I did try checking the resistance on the IAC motor but it's in a tight spot and I couldn't get the harness plug off the IAC motor. It only makes sense to me that it has something to do with the outside air temp. It never gives any problem in cool or cold weather. Makes me think these guys know what their talking about,
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck720
Change out your temperature sensor not sending unit!!!!!!!!!

x2 on the sensor.
xsvtoyz

I just haven't tried it yet. I hate buying parts if I'm not sure of the problem. If I figure anything out I'll post it.

Wait I did check the resistance on the air temp sensor inside the air filter box. It checked out OK.

Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
warm starts

Boy,did you describe my problem to a tee on my 96' 2.7 Taco!!!!!!!! All the dealer can tell me is it's a factory problem with the head.The chamber is too hot to ignite!!?
Open to any ideas or what pro to go to.This is a great truck but I can't drive it in the summer. Been this way for 5yrs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1995 Tacoma 2wd

Same problem here! Two dealers have now replaced: EFI Relay, Fuel Pump, Crank Position Indicator Sensor, Distributor, Fuel Injectors. Still no fix. Getting really frustrated. Was wondering if anyone has found an answer. I'm tired of spending $$$ with no fix. Any help would be awesome. thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know for sure if I have fixed my problem or not. I had to replace the driver side wheel bearing in the rear end a couple months ago so I figured while it was down I would go ahead and replace the two wire coolant temp sensor (the one on the back passenger side of the engine block) which sends signal to the ecu. The one wire is for the temp gauge in the dash. Got the truck back up and going with no problems. I can't remember now but I think I had one episode where the truck didn't start right away and this was after I replaced the sensor. Anyway, a couple weeks ago I get in the truck to leave work, start it up and the idle went up to 1800 to 2000 rpm and would not fall. So, I went ahead and drove the truck home with no problems accept that it would not restart after I got home while the engine was hot. Long story short the truck would start if the engine was cold. After the engine warmed up it would not start period. The engine was flooding. After trouble shooting everything I could, which included, taking the throttle body off and cleaning, taking the IAC off three times to inspect, check and clean, checked for vacuum leaks...ect. I finally got frustrated and took the truck to a shop that had a scanner. Hooked the scanner up and showed the coolant temp sensor was reading -40 degrees. This is the sensor that I replaced just two months ago. I should have known better and checked it even though it was fairly new. Got another new sensor put in the truck today and it's back on the road. Hope this helps.

Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a fix on my 1995 tacoma

Special thanks to Blown68SS for taking the time to give me his thoughts on what was causing this! Here's what I had replaced recently and it is now starting: coolant temp sensor-air filter temp sensor-also had them check or clean the Mass Airflow Sensor. Wanted to let everyone know since I know how it's been for others having to deal with this problem. Even sent letters to Toyota and they gave no help and said they have heard nothing about this. (bull ****) I hope this helps fellow Tacoma owners out there.
Take care and be safe everyone. foggcutter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts