Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 96 Tacoma, and the stick started slipping out of gear (in 3rd and 5th) while driving. I read that it might be low/ bad fluid, so I'm in the process of filling the fluid up. Do I need to drain&flush the fluid (since I don't know what kind/brand is in there), or should I just try filling it with what I can get from the auto parts store?

Also, it seems as though the fluid was super low. Is there any maintenance I can do to mitigate any damage that might have happened while the fluid was low?

Any other tips or thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently bought a 96 Tacoma, and the stick started slipping out of gear (in 3rd and 5th) while driving. I read that it might be low/ bad fluid, so I'm in the process of filling the fluid up. Do I need to drain&flush the fluid (since I don't know what kind/brand is in there), or should I just try filling it with what I can get from the auto parts store?

Also, it seems as though the fluid was super low. Is there any maintenance I can do to mitigate any damage that might have happened while the fluid was low?

Any other tips or thoughts? Thanks!

Its an easy fix! There is a plastic ring that goes around the shifter and it gets beat up, and its below the boot. You pull the shifter boot, and there it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts