Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today my cel came on and i took it in and they said that the egr valve is not working properly. they said its 170 to replace the valve i realy dont feal like spending that much so i was wondering if there is any way to clean it.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
What was the trouble cod? Depends on what the diffective part is. If the actual EGR valve or a plugged pipe going to it, this can be cleaned. If a vacuum valve controlling the EGR valve it can't.

·
Registered
96 Camry V6 LE
565 Posts
i think that theres is a filter in the egr valve that can be cleaned, if im talking about the right part. any one else know about that filter?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
yes it sit on top of the intake manafold. it has toyota samped on the top and it a plastic cover that can be removed rather easy. i dont have mine so i dont remember where it is. yes the egr can be removed and cleaned. and if it is a vsv you need to replace that and you can do it your self rather easy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok the code was p401 today im going to try and clean it wit some carb cleaner wish me luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i think i got it taken care of i checked the vsv i think thats what called what controls the egr it was within ohm range. i took off all the hoses and sprayed them wit some carb cleaner and took out the filter sprayed wit some caned air. reset the efi and the cel did not come on hopefuly it holds

·
I work on euros.
96 Toy Camry Sport
210 Posts
ahhh, you need to clean inside the egr valve - needs a gasket too, by the way. get that first or you'll ahve a vacuum leak more than likely. the goal is to have free flow from the exhaust to the intake manifold under vacuum to the egr diaphragm. try applying direct engine vacuum to the vacuum port on the egr valve. if the car doesn't die inside 3 seconds, you have a restriction. if the engine idles rough during normal idling now, it's stuck partially open.

oh, and vsv stands for "vacuum sensing valve". there are no electronic parts there, therefore it will not need an ohm test. should just be vacuum controlled with electronic plunger sensor.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
you can try to test the temp sensor on it. i forgot the exact readings for it. it looks just like a mini o2 sensor but mounted on the egr. i think to bypass it was a 47k ohm resistor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts