Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey People,
I have done some research in this forum using the search button, but I still have yet to find the answer to my questions. Here is a little background to my dilema:

I have a lot of miles on my gen3. 215,000 to be exact. I am looking to doing a swap. Yeah i know you guys will say why dont you swap a 3sgte, well I live in the state of california where we dont have that type of luxury to do. Well we do, but its not legal lol. Anyways I wanted to do a swap that is legal to do and still give me a little boost of speed, so heres my questions.

1. Is it possible to buy a newer 1mzfe (97+ camrys) and swap it in a gen3 safel and will it be california carb legal?

2. What problems will i run into by doing this type of swap?

3. Will a trd supercharger work with this set up?

All help will be greatly appreciated.
:D

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
yes it would be easy if you already have an 1mz-fe you just have to swap the engine and the ecu, if your going from the I4 thats a bit more work but can be done. since your changing the engine to a 97+ yes the trd supercharger will work just fine and should be put on when you change the engine because it would be easier and since you have the change the ecu anyways (the supercharger should come with a newone the handle the boost). you shouldnt run in to any problems if going from 1mz to 1mz. may have a little bit more annoying things come up if your going I4 to 1mz

·
Registered
431 Posts
pinoy_islander619 said:
Hey People,
I have done some research in this forum using the search button, but I still have yet to find the answer to my questions. Here is a little background to my dilema:

I have a lot of miles on my gen3. 215,000 to be exact. I am looking to doing a swap. Yeah i know you guys will say why dont you swap a 3sgte, well I live in the state of california where we dont have that type of luxury to do. Well we do, but its not legal lol. Anyways I wanted to do a swap that is legal to do and still give me a little boost of speed, so heres my questions.

1. Is it possible to buy a newer 1mzfe (97+ camrys) and swap it in a gen3 safel and will it be california carb legal?

2. What problems will i run into by doing this type of swap?

3. Will a trd supercharger work with this set up?

All help will be greatly appreciated.
:D
You should ask I4 swap to V6. He has done a swap with a 98 1mzfe onto a 92 3rd gen. He also slapped on a TRD supercharger as well.

Calvin

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
if it's a gen3 1mz to a gen4 imz, it's a direct swap.....only thing is you also have to swap the intake manifold....

one of the mechs here in TO did it, and he said that it was a cinch

·
Registered
399 Posts
What engine do you have?

There are many problems you wil run into. I think I mentioned them in other threads. PM me if you want more info.

The swap should be CA legal as long as you put all the exhuast parts for the 1mz into your car. Since we are in CA, you will have to go to the Ref to get it checked. The emissions controls like the charcoal canister are different for the gen 4 and gen 3. I had to modify to fit the new charcoal canister into my car.

The supercharger will work using the 97+ computer. The 92-96 computer has problems. The supercharger kit does NOT come with a new computer. The stock one will work.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your help guys. I have a 1mzfe engine in my 95, I am looking to get the newer 97+ 1mz in my car. I4 to v6 swap YGM. Thanks once again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts