Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really weird...the front end has a shake in it that you CANNOT feel in the brake pedal. I thought there was some issue with the front end (tie-rod ends or similar), but I had that checked out today and it was all in good shape. :)

It won't shake when you simply apply the brake pedal (at any speed). It will only do it once you pump up the brakes a few times and then smoothly apply the brakes to stop. This shaking is only felt in the chassis and some in the steering wheel; nothing is felt in the brake pedal.

The pads and rotors were changed recently, so I don't expect any issue there. The only thing I can think of is that I have some air in the lines. I didn't open the lines when I changed the pads and rotors, but it's possible there has been air in the system since before I put on new front brakes (it's my Mom's rig).

Anyone have experience with a shake in the front end that is NOT felt in the pedal?

Thanks!

·
2,632 Posts
Did you have the rear end checked out too?

Vibrations in the chassis(your butt) are typically from the rear while vibrations in the steering wheel are typically front end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have the rear end checked out too?

Vibrations in the chassis(your butt) are typically from the rear while vibrations in the steering wheel are typically front end.
I tested the rear by simply pulling up on the emergency brake while driving, but thinking more about it now, that would only test the brake shoe/drum interface. It would not engage the hydraulic area of the rear brakes.

I did not change the rear brake shoes when I changed the front pads and rotors.

The odd thing is...I feel it in both the steering wheel and in the chassis (don't remember if I felt it in my butt, now I think about it more).

Perhaps I simply have air in the lines?? I'll bleed them a try it again. The pedal is soft, but it's always been that way. :)

·
2,632 Posts
I tested the rear by simply pulling up on the emergency brake while driving
My 4runner pedal always felt soft compared to my other vehicles as well.

Have you checked to make sure that your parking brake isn't seized up?

It's possible that your rear brake shoes are completely out of adjustment if that's the case. By pumping the brakes, you'd be moving the rear wheel cylinders out more and more each pump until finally the shoes were contacting the rear drums. If the drums are warped, it would cause the vibration you are speaking of.

My rear parking brake was seized and as such, (since I didn't want to spend the money to fix it on a 280k mile 4rnr) I just adjusted my shoes to the proper specs before the snow fell each year since they wouldn't auto adjust.

Just a thought.....?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 4runner pedal always felt soft compared to my other vehicles as well.

Have you checked to make sure that your parking brake isn't seized up?

It's possible that your rear brake shoes are completely out of adjustment if that's the case. By pumping the brakes, you'd be moving the rear wheel cylinders out more and more each pump until finally the shoes were contacting the rear drums. If the drums are warped, it would cause the vibration you are speaking of.

My rear parking brake was seized and as such, (since I didn't want to spend the money to fix it on a 280k mile 4rnr) I just adjusted my shoes to the proper specs before the snow fell each year since they wouldn't auto adjust.

Just a thought.....?
Yeah, the rear brakes are worth a look. I did notice they didn't stop the vehicle super well with just the emergency brake. They could be worn our for sure. :) I'll give them a look this weekend. Thanks for the thought!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
presticlese
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing