Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the right process to change the ATF on a 97 4 runner? i could only find one drain plug, no torque converter? It took about 5 qrts. The owners manual says 2qrts??? Bizzar.

If I do a flush, which line do you pull?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid change

Let me try this differently:

My daughter brought her 97 4runner (only 50K miles) over for Daddy to change the oil. Tranny fluid was getting used (dark and a little used smell) and I had about 13 qts on hand. Wow, scarry, no torque con access. Must be one in there, but no place to drain it? I only got about 5 qts out the pan drain. Looked in her owners man!! is says like 2qts??? Drove it a bit and fluid is nice now, good smell and color. But...how do you do this right on a 4 runner? What is the right method? How many qts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Most of the fluid is in the torque converter. Some owners disconnect the return line from the cooler and let the trans run it self out of fluid. If you go this way, be sure to turn off the engine quickly once the fluid stops coming out. Others just drain and fill the pan on an ongoing basis, eventually all the fluid gets changed.

A service shop can hook the trans up to a machine and exchange the old fluid for new. The best shops drop the pan to allow the new fluid to be pulled up through the transmission screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts