Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Toyota 4Runner. The 15-amp "dome" fuse keeps blowing when I replace it. None of the following work: clock, radio, door/headlight chimes, dome lights, power locks, security remote. I recently jumped a dead battery and found the 100-amp alternator fuse blown. Replaced that and car starts/runs fine. Sounds to me like there's a short somewhere but would like advice on how to confirm - and correct - the problem. Thanks.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
If you keep blowing the fuse as soon as you replace it you have a dead short somewhere.
It may be related to the 100A fueseable link being blown, or you may have a wire cut or smashed somewhere causing it.
One way to find out what would be to disconnect everything on that fuse (the stuff not working) to find which item is bad causing the short. If it's a smashed wire you'll have to inspect all the wiring.
It's not going to be easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, yes.... after 5 months I could resolve this annoying problem.

My main mistake was a wrong cross battery jump cable, after that this 15amp blue fuse didn't stop blowing.

So, it's took me time and some fuses, but IN MY CASE the short was on the ANTENNA RELAY. it's just fries inside by the wrong jump, it smelled like melted plastic.

This relay is inside de dash board, just under de stereo. I hope this post can help someone. I post some pics to show it.

4runner 98, 3r gen.
5302020102731.jpg
5302020102829.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts