Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 avalon and im having the worst time upgrading ym stereo. i got an alpine head unit that works fine, but the speakers are killing me. Everywhere i go it says 5" 1/4" will fit but they dont. the opening in the pod is only 4 1/2". i dropped some 4" in there but it sounds like crap, and cutting up the back dash to install 6x9's is out of the question, cuz no one will do it and i dont have the tools. anyone redone the sound system on this model avy?? im planning on redueing the entire car and bringing it up to show standards. i apreciate any help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my last avalon I took out teh whole big black thing that housed the 4 inch and made my own mounts out of 1/4 mdf for a 6 inch and tweeter in each door..... I then ran new speaker wire into each door then ran the front components off an amp... then for the rear fill I put a set of four inch coaxials in and and used dynamat to fill in the gap around the speaker..... sounded much better than stock

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
If you are willing to make kickpods, you can set up an awesome 3 way front system using a 4" Midrange in the door location, and a 6.5"-8" Midbass in the kickpods.

Are you any good at Fiberglassing ? :D

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
TrblPinoy1 said:
In my last avalon I took out teh whole big black thing that housed the 4 inch and made my own mounts out of 1/4 mdf for a 6 inch and tweeter in each door..... I then ran new speaker wire into each door then ran the front components off an amp... then for the rear fill I put a set of four inch coaxials in and and used dynamat to fill in the gap around the speaker..... sounded much better than stock

Got any pics? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be upgrading mine also with some 6 1/2 components.
My plan is to trace that plastic speaker box on mdf to use as a mount
for the mids.

I'll probably have to make some additional pin holes in the door trim under the speaker
grill along with the speaker grill as it will cut off a lot of the driver.

I think the only other option is to have someone make or make your own kickpanels.

I don't think the 4 inchers will cut it for a full sound.

My set up will just be the components up front, no rears, and a dual 10" sub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i was thinking i might have to make new pods, but i dont even know where to begin with that. What kind of speakers did u use? i have the 4" infinity reference series in the front right now, and i was thinking of making new pods to install the 5 1/4" and 6x9's in the back doors cuz i dont wanna cut up the back dash for the 6x9's. got any pics or specs on what u did? btw, im a complete newbie when it comes to this, my buick was a smple as dropping the 5 1/14 in the front and 6x9's in the back. i really want to go ALL out on this car tho, bring it up to MECA show stardards maybe?

·
Registered
33 Posts
bentleyrb said:
My plan is to trace that plastic speaker box on mdf to use as a mount
for the mids.

quote]

That was what I did.... it only took like twenty min to do both doors.... and the gaps I filled in with dynamat... sounded pretty good with plenty of midbass.... I tried building kicks but there wasn't enough space behind the kick to make an enclosure.... I guess it could be done but extensive work must be done and you would need to relocate all wires on both sides.... I didn't want to mess with that

·
Registered
33 Posts
bentleyrb said:
Ooh, yeah pics please. Was there any affect on the sound with the door trim blocking the 6.5s?
you will have to center the speaker so it is near the original speaker hole... so that the sound will not just go into the door panel

·
Registered
33 Posts
1. get some 1/4 inch MDF
2. pull your door panels and get out that big contraption that houses your original 4 inch speaker
3. then trace the thing out on the mdf
4. cut out the mdf
5. cut hole for either 5 1/4 or 6 1/2
6. mount accordingly
7. mount tweeter in stock location

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.