Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Camry xle 3.0 v6,with Cal. emissions,and I keep getting a code for cylinder 1 misfire.I have changed plugs ,wires ,O2 sensors,fuel injectors,coils,and coolant temp switch.It has 220,000 miles.I have eliminated all codes except the misfire in cylinder one.Anybody have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Have you checked compression on cyl #1?

Only other idea I have is to check the igniter. One of its jobs is to verify spark occurred, and relay that signal back to the ECU. Odd that it would point only at cyl #1 though.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,968 Posts
^+1 compression, it's rare but I've seen at least one where the piston rings went bad (albeit on cyl #2). Needed a running compression test to figure out, the rings would only seal above 1200 RPM, which was in line with the data from Techstream showing that the misfires ceased above 1200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a compression test or coming in the mail,should be here tomorrow.How do I do that,I have never done one before?

·
short-throw dipstick
5,968 Posts
To do a standard compression test, screw compression gauge in place of spark plug, remove fuel system fuse so the engine doesn't start, crank the engine over 4-5 times, then take a reading. Note the number, remove and reset the gauge, then squirt some oil down the cylinder and do it again. The second time is the wet reading, if it's significantly higher than the dry reading then you have a piston ring problem.

If neither of these give you good numbers, you need a special compression gauge that continually resets so you can run the test with the engine running (running compression test). Shouldn't need that unless the piston rings are really bad/cylinder is warped for whatever reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of readings should I see if the cylinder,and rings are still good,and what readings if they are bad?

·
short-throw dipstick
5,968 Posts
150 PSI is a good number, but between roughly 130 and 200 depending on the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also pulled the plug in cylinder one,and I would think that plug would look bad,but it didn't look to bad for having a misfire in that cylinder.Any ideas?

·
Registered
Toyotas.
251 Posts
Plugs will not have a 'look' of misfire. Do a compression test and check the injectors before condemning the ECM. I know of no way to test an ECM. Toyota may be able to check it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I did a compression test and all cylinders were right around 160 psi.The car is running terrible.Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts