Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just changed my oil at my regular 5,000 mile interval. Installed a new K&N HP-1003 oil filter as I have done before. Hand tight and a little more; the usual.

Noticed yesterday a pretty sizeable leak coming out from directly under the o-ring. Spun it off and observed that the rubber o-ring was not seated properly in its groove and was possibly warped. Re-set the o-ring and reinstalled the filter. Still leaking today, but maybe a bit less.

Have installed these K&N filters before on my most recent couple of oil changes and have not had this o-ring issue. Think this one's just a lemon? Or have you had or heard of similar issues yourself?

Planning to replace it with a Purolator PL 14476 (already ordered) and hoping that one does the trick.

Thanks!

Registered
I've been using Mobil 1 filters and they've been great for my cars.

Reactions: drno4

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using Mobil 1 filters and they've been great for my cars.
Thanks for the recommendation. Cancelled my Purolator order and will try the Mobil M-103/103A line. Pricier up front, but not in the long run because it says it can handle up to 15-20K, which for me is at least three oil changes. I appreciate your input.

Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
Have you properly lubed the gasket before installation? Man, I use the cheapest filter with worst reputation online and it worked really well. Fram extra guard. I bet either it is a defective one, or you did not install it properly. The filter, in terms of probability, should be okay.

Registered
Switch to a good quality synthetic oil as well, and you can probably get 8-9K between oil changes.

I use Castrol Edge full synthetic 5-30.

If you want to, I guess you could get away with changing that Mobil filter out every two oil changes. I still change the filter every oil change though. Maybe I just have money to burn on better filters lol

Reactions: drno4

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you properly lubed the gasket before installation? Man, I use the cheapest filter with worst reputation online and it worked really well. Fram extra guard. I bet either it is a defective one, or you did not install it properly. The filter, in terms of probability, should be okay.
Yes, I always do. A bit of new oil applied by finger to the face of the o-ring.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Switch to a good quality synthetic oil as well, and you can probably get 8-9K between oil changes.

I use Castrol Edge full synthetic 5-30.

If you want to, I guess you could get away with changing that Mobil filter out every two oil changes. I still change the filter every oil change though. Maybe I just have money to burn on better filters lol
I've been using Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Reactions: NOTAMR2

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Fram Ultra
Purolator Boss
Wix XP
Napa Platinum
Amsoil
RoyalPurple
Ryco Syntec
Peak HardDriver
Some good suggestions in there, many of which are included on this outstanding thread, too:

At some level, it's ultimately a matter of personal preference I suppose.

Thanks for the reply!

Banned
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
Some misinformation in that link. Personal preference is fine but why overpay for restrictive obsolete filtration media?

My 2.2's never sludged. Didnt need special oils or filters....just a sane change interval. Synthetic worth sludge monster prevention for some of us that drive too far on oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been using K& N oil filters for a few years on my 98 camry along with regular Castrol 5 w30 - never had any issues with either one.
Thanks for sharing and for the vote of confidence in K&N. I've used them several times before, also without issue, and I've installed them all the same way. My guess more and more is that I just got a lemon in this latest filter o-ring. Oh well; it happens.

short-throw dipstick
Overpriced, no real benefit. Stock Denso is fine (I run an oversized Taurus Vulcan filter, 150-2013), and if I feel like a nicer synthetic filter I spend the $7-8 on RockAuto for a Wix XP. No sludge in my engine. Then again, I don't rely on the filter...instead I change oil at reasonable intervals with a decent oil (most are "decent") and change out my PCV every 2 years with an OE valve.

Reactions: NOTAMR2

Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
Man, I have never ever changed the PCV valve in the 19.5 years I owned my car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.