Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did you go finding the source of the problem? I know this thread is almost 2 weeks old but did you check the CV joints / boots? One of the boots could be split? Sometimes they can cause a clunking noise when turning corners.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Here is video which shows that spring is doing that noise.

Cv joints are new. This makes noise even turning car in park.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
In the video, it looks like the strut pivot bearing is not turning smoothly like it should. The upper part of the spring moves jerky.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
In the video, it looks like the strut pivot bearing is not turning smoothly like it should. The upper part of the spring moves jerky.
Only option is faulty bearing even its new and torqued like manual says

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

And strut bearing goes this side up when you hold bearing plate in your hand?

Because you can install bearing "upside down", red flange down to bearing plate.

·
イリジウム
11,571 Posts
Right, this side is up.

If correct the spring shouldn’t be turning in its seats. They move together.

So double check installation. So how did you install the bearing?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks! I did not find install position. pictures and shop manual either.

So i turn it now upside down and its good. Or if its worn i replaced. How sensitive it will turn by fingers if ok?

·
イリジウム
11,571 Posts
To test it, you can put the bearing between the bearing plate and the mount. Turn it by hand and feel the difference with the bearing facing both directions. (Once everything is assembled the spring force will make it very hard to turn by hand of course.)

Kingdom's Gen 5 DIY has plenty of pictures, yours is similar:
https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/diy-2004-camry-se-suspension-work-kyb-eibach.1616026/

1A Auto's complete assembly replacement videos. This is how I'd do it. ;) I use and prefer Monroe QuickStruts myself. Some members prefer KYB's firmer ride.

Front and rear assemblies:

You can search up all kinds of strut replacement info on the web, some are better than others of course. Some are downright dangerous so use good judgement.

I'm not sure what kind of spring compressors you're using, but here are the instructions for the HFT ones that are also available as free loaners at many parts stores. Know the dangers of coil springs and safety instructions.

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/63000-63999/63262.pdf

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
9 Participants
Karpov
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing