Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I have a 1997 Camry. This morning I experienced a strange combination of symptoms with my car. After starting without issue, I noticed none of the electric gauges are functioning. The only thing lit up is the door ajar symbol. The radio won't turn on and neither will the heat/AC, windshield wipers, or turn signals. The head lights will work if manually turned on and the tail lights also turn on.

I know little about cars, but would like to troubleshoot this without a mechanic if I can, it's a matter of timing and funds. Anyway, I visually inspected all of the fuses both in the interior to the lower left of the steering column as well as the ones contained under the hood. All appear to be in tact. The next thing I am intending to try is to purchase a digital volt meter and manually check every fuse to see if they are indeed receiving and sending power. Does this seem like the best next step? Is there anything else I can investigate.

I found a few other posts, one on here and another on a different forum, but haven't seen much in the way of solutions to my situation that aren't glaringly apparent (one woman had to replace her ALT fuse that was charred, mine is intact).

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Kal

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,070 Posts
2 things to look at.

If you have the owner's manual, look in the index for fuse locations. The fuse is the first thing to look at. It protects the circuits in the event of a power surge.

You can over ride the locked shifter by pushing the safety lock in the center console with your key.

For the shifter, at the end of the shifter cable, inspect the rubber insert for damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I tried again a few hours after my first post and the car started normally with full functionality. I am not sure what caused it, but it seems like there is no more issue. This feels naive tho, and I would like to still investigate what the cause was and prepare for its return or even fix the issue...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,070 Posts
Something is going on.

You'll need to refer to the electrical wiring diagrams to track down the issue.

It's likely a loose ground somewhere in the passenger cabin. Check behind both kick panels in the front.

Did you do any recent work in the passenger cabin?

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,494 Posts
When a fuse blows it can't "fix" itself, so something other than fuse is causing this. As well viewing the little fuse link through the plastic window can be hard, I usually have to pull the fuse to see properly.

It could be a ground issue, where the ground can work on and off depending on conditions. Try to fine all the body/fuse/engine grounds (including fuse blocks) and remove and clean with wire brush/sandpaper.

Check your owner's manual, there should be a chart that lists what components are protected by what fuse and see if that points you to an area to inspect first.

With electrical problems the diagnosis is long but the fix is easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts