Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this rattle, clunking sound coming from the front end of my 97 Camry when going over even minor bumpy road especially when the car is cold in the morning. This seems to be common on all 97s and it sounds like a worn rubber bushing from the front suspension area, both the left and right side. I have noticed this on my car when the km is as low as 80k Km.

Has anyone else had this similar problem/complaint and had it resolved and any known fix for it?:confused:

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tightening the nut...

I did the same thing that PGMOMNI did on my 97 Camry... and it worked. I didn't "tighten the crap" out of the top strut nut... i just did a quarter turn and that improved things tremendously. I could probably tighten more and get have an even cleaner sounding ride, but I'm too cautious.

Like they said... the right thing to do is to replace the struts and strut mounts... something I would probably do if I wasn't planning to sell the car soon... but my latest quote on the job was about $500... which is about 1/6 of the value of the car today.

·
pro nub
2000 CAMRY
222 Posts
I tightened the top strut also and the clunking went away. I think several people have had problems similar to this before. gen 4/4.5 are known for faulty strut mounts from what I heard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts