Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My problem is clunks and clanks when i turn steering wheel when car is not moving or it moves slow like parking lot. Its like spring clunks and clanks.

Ive recently replaced both front shocks and strut bearings. Spring is good condition, not broken.

There is no play in lower arms and sway bar links and cv joints are new too.

Strut lower rubber where spring comes is in bad shape. Can it do that noise? Ive rebuilded struts couple times after i replaced these and no problems.

Noise is irritating.

Second noise is like "hump" (not creak) when i "land" after crossing speed bumb. It sounds like springs/strut also.

Help me please.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have the same issue for another car. So I am very interested as well. I shall check tie rod end tonight. If others can came up with other possibilities to check, that will be great.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure that i found problem. Tie rods were fine.

I replaced spring isolators lower and upper. I regonized that shock nut is turning 360deg when tightening (same thing was first time). I looked holes at shock and upper plate but i dont know what went wrong.

Now it wont spin 360 if i hold upper plate.

No voices when i did test drive. Camrys spring and not straight plate did some tricks to me. Its hard to press spring straight to normal spring compressors.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

I replaced spring isolators lower and upper. I regonized that shock nut is turning 360deg when tightening (same thing was first time). I looked holes at shock and upper plate but i dont know what went wrong.

No voices when i did test drive. Camrys spring and not straight plate did some tricks to me. Its hard to press spring straight to normal spring compressors.
Can someone rephrase what he wrote? I have the same issue, but I really cannot understand what he was trying to say. If I have to guess, does it mean that the center nut of the strut was turning. If so, is there anyway I can try to tighten up that big nut in the center (surrounded by three nuts) to spec while strut in still installed? Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone rephrase what he wrote? I have the same issue, but I really cannot understand what he was trying to say. If I have to guess, does it mean that the center nut of the strut was turning. If so, is there anyway I can try to tighten up that big nut in the center (surrounded by three nuts) to spec while strut in still installed? Thanks.
Sorry for rubbish english :)

There is aligment in this plate:

And top of shock:

I many times double checked and had marks but still those were not ok. When those are, you can tighten the nut and it wont spin 360.

Just under 40 lb ft is that nut torque and i got that even it was not aligmented. So that caused distraction too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
100miles were quiet, i did all kind of turns etc.

Now it started again. Im little bit angry now.

What it can be? It has to be strut based problem. Spring is old but wont do noise drivers side. Maybe i try swap springs right to left.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now i looked strut when my friend turned wheel.

Spring jerks when turning wheels. It can see by eye. Bottom of spring is not moving its place.

Upper bearing does this? Its new but faulty? Torque is right.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
Yeah, the upper bearings are supposed to rotate so the spring doesn’t “wind up”.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
758 Posts
The rubber insulator looks "shredded" in the upper strut support, in that pic. If I had to guess.. it may be binding up on that. .. I would suspect this, if here anyway.

You also mentioned the lower insulator where the coil spring sits is in bad shape - if the lower coil spring seat is misaligned -> allowing the coil spring to shift in the assembly - it would also explain why the upper strut tower is offset -> and trashing the rubber insulator in the upper strut support mount.

Not saying this is your specific case - just what "I" would suspect, if it was here.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
758 Posts
"Strut lower rubber where spring comes is in bad shape. Can it do that noise? Ive rebuilded struts couple times after i replaced these and no problems. "

? From your first post above.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

In this post i tried to say that i replaced rubbers :)

In first post they were old but now only old parts are spring and upper plate

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
758 Posts
Got it, Thanks. In that case, that upper insulator bushing that looks torn up in the pic above - is probably causing the binding / clunking. Post #6, 1st pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
Karpov
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing