Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've searched other threads, but can't pinpoint exactly what this is.

2.2L, 5sfe, Automatic

When I accelerate from a stop it makes noise and has a fast vibrating buzz that you can feel while you're driving, like a lawn mower or something. It's most pronounced as I accelerate from a stop, but will also make a lighter noise if I hold the throttle steady cruising down the road. When I let off the gas (or idle) it goes away. It increases or decreases with throttle.

My suspicion is the exhaust, but I worry about the engine and transmission as well.

All the fluids are clean and the correct level, including transmission and differential fluids.

What are some of the common causes and how can I figure out what's causing it?

·
Mario Mobile
724 Posts
Well I feel a little buzz/vibration when I accelerate from stop, what I hear is like the engine revving though. If the vibration is what you're talking about...I thought it was normal lol. Mine's a 97 Camry with 78K miles / 2.2 engine. I don't believe it's a problem at all...

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Have you checked your mounts? That could be an area that you have overlooked. The dog bone mount on the right hand side may be shot, if that is the case, the front mount has to work harder and takes most of the torque as it is.

I am going to attach a link to a diagram, I hope it helps. If you have any questions, or need further information, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll do my best.

http://toyopartsman.webng.com/data/5sfe%20motor%20mounts.pdf

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the diagram. Excellent.

Yes, it's a buzzing, vibration that's most pronounced at 2K-3K RPMS upon acceleration. And it's a fast vibration that produces the noise, not a slow, clunky vibration.

The motor mounts LOOK ok, but I could check again. I just want to rule out engine or transmission problems as a source of the noise.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had some similar symptoms vibration in the wheel upon acceleration, etc on my daughter's 99 Camry with 160k miles. I originally thought it might be the inner CV joint on the right side. It turned out in my case after my daughter had a flat that a belt had seperated on the tire, which I hadn't noticed. After 4 new tires about 2 weeks ago and new inner/outer tie rod ends, my problem is fixed. Just suggesting you might want to look at your tires, maybe have them balanced, etc. Maybe you lost a weight.

Good luck and post whatever fixes your problem so others can benefit.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave- 4 new and balanced tires. That shouldn't be it. It seems related to engine RPM's and throttle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, got me stumped. Mine was tires and I thought it might have been the CV axles but I had no clicking like outer ones and the boots weren't torn. I had a rattling/vibration sound at startup on my other 99 Camry my son drives (127K miles) but upon closer inspection, it apparently was the start of the water pump bearings going out. Had a new WP, timing belt, etc done at the time.

It's the little things that drive you crazy! (THAT AND 2 TEENAGERS, 17 & 19)!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed!

Not the tires, not the CV half-shafts...it's gotta be mounts, exhaust, or internal transmission/engine/differential noise.

I just can't isolate it enough. It's gotta be something vibrating cause it idles smooth and shifts fine, so I can't imagine it's anything serious.

Very frustrating though when your Toyota sounds like a Toro.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,183 Posts
[QUOTE
I just can't isolate it enough. It's gotta be something vibrating cause it idles smooth and shifts fine, so I can't imagine it's anything serious.
[/QUOTE]

Damn, mine has the opposite problem, vibrates and shakes the steering wheel at idle (idle speed is fine) but is smooth as silk at anything above idle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wheel bearings??

Have you checked front and rear wheel bearings? Best way to check is use a mechanics stethoscope (under $10 at Harbor freight). Place the stethoscope probe on the housing of each bearing then spin the wheel and listen. If you hear even a slight roughness its the wheel bearing. If a wheel bearing is good you will hear absolutely no rotational sounds.

Don't rely on just spinning the wheel and listening or putting your hand on a spring while the wheel is spinning feeling for roughness. Unless the bearing is REAL bad you won't hear or feel anything without the stethoscope.

All the symptoms you describe could all be caused by a bad wheel bearing. They are nearly impossible to diagnose when they first start to go bad because the noise resonates throughout the vehicle. You can't isolate the noise (usually a hum of some sort).

Finally, if you find a bad wheel bearing replace both as a pair. If one side goes out the other side is soon to follow.

Also, if it is a bad bearing replace it right away. Once a bearing starts to go, no telling how long it will take for it to disintegrate. If that happens your wheel can fall off while driving!

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Well, if you do need wheel bearings, and you're looking for OEM, I am a sponsored vendor and I sell to TN members for 30% off MSRP and I only charge actual shipping costs plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials, etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
2000 Solara
252 Posts
Well, if you do need wheel bearings, and you're looking for OEM, I am a sponsored vendor and I sell to TN members for 30% off MSRP and I only charge actual shipping costs plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials, etc.

Good luck
hhmmmmm, i need right and left bearings for a 2000 solara - how much?

thanks

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Thanks for the diagram. Excellent.

Yes, it's a buzzing, vibration that's most pronounced at 2K-3K RPMS upon acceleration. And it's a fast vibration that produces the noise, not a slow, clunky vibration.

The motor mounts LOOK ok, but I could check again. I just want to rule out engine or transmission problems as a source of the noise.
i would vote differential bearings or bad motor mount

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
try replacing the dog bone mount first, it takes 5 minutes and cost is like $30 OEM. when mine got shot (together with the exhaust flex pipe and worn out front mount) it did some buzzing noise and vibrations on acceleration.

also, badly balanced tires will NOT cause vibration upon acceleration, they would rather cause when moving freely (foot off gas pedal) at over 50mph or so.

check your dog bone (engine torque rod mount or whatever it's called).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts