Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
97 Camry problems-dying out when cold&hot

hi, i searched the forum but did not find the answer im looking for.

my 97 camry V6 has the following problem(s).

when engine is cold (i.e. morning), the engine would start but dies out right after. i have to keep the rpm high enough for 30~1min in order for the engine to keep running on its own. it seems like ISC is not working correctly.

now here is another problem.

when the engine is hot, the engine would start but either dies out or RPM is really low (~200rpm). stepping on gas so that the RPM stays about ~2000rpm for 30sec or so usually solves the problem. what could be a problem on this issue?

ive got an engine check light, and the code reads P0446 (Evaporative Emission Control Circuit Failure). i also was able to test a vacuum value on top of charcoal canister (for fuel pressure sensor) is not working at all (tested for resistance, and no resistance was read).

in short,
1. when engine is cold, engine dies out right after. (ISC?)
2. when engine is hot, engine dies our or stays in low rpm range for a while.
3. engine check code - does this relate to any of those problems?

thank in advance for your advice. :)

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
according to my book there is a check valve on the canister an it could have gone bad or the canister is messed up and is throwing a code. i would recomend checking the hoses for leaks and replacing the canister.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2wickedtoyz said:
according to my book there is a check valve on the canister an it could have gone bad or the canister is messed up and is throwing a code. i would recomend checking the hoses for leaks and replacing the canister.
thanks. i already checked all the lines, hoses, etc. only thing i found wrong with was the check valve.

im more concerned about dying out problem :)

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
sounds like a transmission problem, my mom has an older pontiac and it did the exact same thing, when it was cold i had to rev the rpms up to even get the car to go forwards otherwise it would die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
felkajamine said:
sounds like a transmission problem, my mom has an older pontiac and it did the exact same thing, when it was cold i had to rev the rpms up to even get the car to go forwards otherwise it would die.
i highly doubt it is a transmission problem. the engine needs to be reved up for short period of time in order to get back to its normail driving condition (normail RPM range).

as for dying out when cold, im pretty sure it is ISC problem as i searched and got many very similar symptoms of my problem. im curious though, if dying out when engine is hot is caused by the check value for fuel pressure sensor.

·
Grenaded piston
6,599 Posts
Re: 97 Camry problems-dying out when cold&hot

onlycom said:
ive got an engine check light, and the code reads P0446 (Evaporative Emission Control Circuit Failure).

in short,
1. when engine is cold, engine dies out right after. (ISC?)
2. when engine is hot, engine dies our or stays in low rpm range for a while.
3. engine check code - does this relate to any of those problems?
#1 is the ISC. Not sure about #2 and #3.

Some info about P0446:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=38921&highlight=p0446

1 - 6 of 6 Posts