Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this car since 04. Tried to pass smog but I barely failed with a bit too much HC.

Here is a few key-points:
- 157K, 132K when I bought it in 04
- Tried to get the Toyota service for the EVAP and oil gel settlement, but my car is both over 150K and over 8 years. Tried to get them to approve it but no luck.
- Smoked on cold start once in a while, 2-3 weeks, grey smoke.
- Burns oil, down to 1 quart after 3-4K.
- Oil filter has been changed recently.
- EVAP failture check engine light comes up when gas is almost empty
- Spark plugs (Bosch Platinum +4), air filter replaced the last 6 months

I have babied this car since I owned it but 7 years of neglect is hard to make up. I was wondering if changing the spark plugs again since everybody is saying Toyota's hate Bosch plugs and replace them with NGK/Denso (any recommendations?) and perhaps change the O2 sensors (any recommendations). As for the smoking, I hope it's just the valve seals as I plan to fix it once I save up some more money for repairs. But any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
sorry to hear you failed the test.

was your CEL on at the time of the test? That pretty much means instant failure. Did you or someone pull the code for the CEL telling you it was an EVAP Failure?
have you changed your fuel filter?
"Bosch Platinum +4" is that actually a brand from bosch? If your car has been running smoothly then it shouldnt be the plug's fault, as some people have had good luck with bosch plugs.
Grey smoke isnt good but you already know the most likely cause. Did you take it to the test after u ran the car for a bit? maybe on the highway?
1 Quart of oil lost per oil change interval is considered a fair amount of oil burning/loss, you should get that repaired, and place that on the top of your repair list.
If the CEL code(s) dont indicate a problem with your O2 sensors, dont blow a few hundred bucks on them.

I wonder if an oil change after a little bit of seafoam treatment through the brake booster/gas/crank case would help. I guess you could also clean the throttle body.
but considering that your engine is not in the greatest shape i would use all that stuff in light moderation.

Good Luck.
Happy New Years.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
sea foam through the booster, and get it smoged with a thicker oil if 5w-30 go 10w-30 if that go 15w or 20w. just for smog. after that switch back and get what ever fixed.

plug swize i'm one of those guys that dont recomend +4, i had them i hate them and don't recomend them. stock denso all the way!

also try and replace the hose's (cheap ebay kit will do) and the gas cap as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nodrogkam said:
sorry to hear you failed the test.

was your CEL on at the time of the test? That pretty much means instant failure. Did you or someone pull the code for the CEL telling you it was an EVAP Failure?
have you changed your fuel filter?
"Bosch Platinum +4" is that actually a brand from bosch? If your car has been running smoothly then it shouldnt be the plug's fault, as some people have had good luck with bosch plugs.
Grey smoke isnt good but you already know the most likely cause. Did you take it to the test after u ran the car for a bit? maybe on the highway?
1 Quart of oil lost per oil change interval is considered a fair amount of oil burning/loss, you should get that repaired, and place that on the top of your repair list.
If the CEL code(s) dont indicate a problem with your O2 sensors, dont blow a few hundred bucks on them.

I wonder if an oil change after a little bit of seafoam treatment through the brake booster/gas/crank case would help. I guess you could also clean the throttle body.
but considering that your engine is not in the greatest shape i would use all that stuff in light moderation.

Good Luck.
Happy New Years.
- I resetted the CEL before I went to take the smog test.
- It seems to be running fine, so far.
- Yea, I drove about 10 miles before I went there, left the car on the whole time I waited.
- Seafoam, what is that stuff?
- Fuel filter, and O2 sensor has never been changed since I had it (30K)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chronoti said:
sea foam through the booster, and get it smoged with a thicker oil if 5w-30 go 10w-30 if that go 15w or 20w. just for smog. after that switch back and get what ever fixed.

plug swize i'm one of those guys that dont recomend +4, i had them i hate them and don't recomend them. stock denso all the way!

also try and replace the hose's (cheap ebay kit will do) and the gas cap as well.
- My plugs were really horrible before. I changed the easy 3 myself and felt a huge difference in power increase. I asked a mechanic to the change the other 3 and I didn't feel any difference...the smog guy questioned if they really even did it.
- What hoses are you referring to?
- What is so bad about the Bosch +4 btw?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
seafoam-
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

yes it's a sales site but basically states whats on the can, good stuff, some use bg, toyota has something similar too.

-i notice my +4 to burn out after 60k miles. also if your car is burning oil like that they are much easier to foul (you seen that small little spark area).

-replace the fuel filter, i had one clog and it gave me hell

-the hoses i'm talking about are the vaccume lines that run all over your engine bay, if they start to dry rot a little you they all add up to one good size leak.

-also check the spark plug wires, if you get a new set get the ngk wires from ngk.com (cheapest and ome wires)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try running ATF in the crankcase..There's a how to I've read somewhere, might be Honda-Tech... But it'll clean out the engine.. Then do an oilchange..

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
scoobywrx said:
Try running ATF in the crankcase..There's a how to I've read somewhere, might be Honda-Tech... But it'll clean out the engine.. Then do an oilchange..
how about not? lol.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
What were the O2 and CO readings? If the other three plugs were not changed, a higher HC reading can result. Run something through the engine to clean out the carbon and fuel injectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts