Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Corolla DX AE101
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been 2 weeks now going into the 3rd without my car. The flex pipe completely corroded off from the catalytic converter while I was driving. So I figured what better time to replace that old stock exhaust. Unfortunately, I had to wait to setup my Paypal account and to transfer funds into it so I could buy parts online and save some money. Probably would of been driving by now if I had taken it to a shop a everyone else suggested.

For the Manifold and Flex pipe, I ordered a set of DNA performance headers from E-bay for $80 plus $65 shipping to Canada which bolted on directly. I originally ordered the OBX headers but then cancelled my order when I learned they had the extra sensor bung near the end of the flex pipe which I would of had no use for. I also ordered the OBX high flow converter which I also cancelled (but should of kept).

The Catalytic Converter I ended up ordering in its place was a OEM converter from Dynamic Muffler Mart for $87 plus $20 shipping. I tried fitting my headers on the converter but the header pipe would not fit in the flange.

Then I looked for a resonator pipe and found lots on E-bay but could not find one that would ship to Canada. So I went to Autopartsway.ca and purchased a resonator pipe from Bosal for a little over $100 and free shipping. When I received it, it was the exact part I needed but there was no bung for the rear O2 sensor. but the pipe fit into the converter flange (a few welds in the way).

Stressed, I finally had my car towed to my mechanic to see if he could use the headers and catalytic converter I ordered and to use the old stock rusted resonator pipe. As expected the flange was too rusted to bolt on too. Luckily he seen the resonator pipe that I was going to return and he said he can order a O2 bung and weld it into the pipe to save me from shipping hassles. Though I would have to order a new rear O2 sensor because the old one busted.

So I took back the catalytic converter to have it returned and found a Magnaflow converter on Ebay for $130 shipped, plus looks much better quality and it says it has a 2" flange diameter. and I ordered my rear oxygen sensor made by Walker from Autopartsway for $110.

So when its all said and done, I will have this setup:

DNA Motoring Performance Headers
Stock Front Oxygen Sensor
Magnaflow Direct bolt Catalytic Converter
Bosal Resonator Pipe with Customized Oxygen sensor bung
Walker Rear Oxygen Sensor
Stock Rear Exhaust Muffler

He said I could of used the converter from Dynamic muffler mart but he would of had to buy a new saw blade to cut the stainless header pipe tip so the two flanges could sit flush and use a flat gasket and welders glue...but it should be a much nicer fit with the Magnaflow...and sound better too!

·
Registered
97 Corolla DX AE101
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I wanted to keep it quiet. I have heard of lots of complaints from people drowning themselves out with the fart cans plus its an automatic so shifting would sound bad. Im anxious to hear what it will sound like when I get it back. Plus it should make my engine bay look a lot more appealing!

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
In general, parts from fleabay are a PITA. (as you found out) AT least they are cheap but it isnt always worth it. Of course you can find things on there that you could never hope to find in any regular store. so they do have a purpose.

-SP

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
you probably could've got similar parts from Hot Spot autoparts in the Toronto area and already be done, I've priced their OEM fitment (bolt on) cats and piping before and they're usually pretty decent.

Also if you're in Brampton or nearby, Parts 2 go = good guys, tell the owner the dorikaze guys sent you and he'll give you a deal.

·
Registered
97 Corolla DX AE101
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol "fleabay"...

I have never heard of Hot Spot Autoparts and I am actually closer to Brampton (Belleville/Trenton area) so I will have to check out Parts to Go sometime. Thanks for the tips. Can always use an extra parts supplier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts