Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All...

Just joined the forum--Kudos to you all as this seems like a great online community!

Well--here's the deal! The same day as my wife's 97 Corolla (1.8 L)had the left front brake caliper sieze up, the Check Engine light came on. I had a local dealer deal with the brakes, and asked them to check out the check engine light while they had the car in the bay...

I ended up declining their offer to fix it, but they told me they received a DTC 137 and noted that it was a bad Oxygen Sensor. They documented this on my receipt for the brake repairs as "Bank 1, Sensor 2"...

Does anyone have any idea WHICH sensor this is? The one by the manifold, or the heated sensor back by the CAT?

I have a Haynes manual which outlines some procedures for diagnosing it with a volt-meter, but I have not spent any time with this yet...

Does anyone have any advice? This will be my first attempt at changing an O2 sensor...

Regards,
- DJ

PS - Also--what is to say it is not a bad Mass Airflow sensor ? :rolleyes:

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
You don't want to purchase a wrong part just because of a misunderstanding of nomenclature.

The best thing to do is just phone up the repair shop and ask them and if they don't tell you I would have doubts about thier 'integrity'

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys... The replies are much appreciated!

I have been pricing the part but have not purchased it yet... I wanted to verify the sensor is bad first as well. So, last night, I simply removed the negative battery cable, and let the car sit disconnected for a few minutes. My intention was to reset the ECM and see what happens....

When I reconnected the battery (after cleaning the battery post and connector, ofcourse! :) ) and started the car--the check engine light shut off and did not light up any more...

I drove the car around for a few minutes, reset the time on the clock, etc... and the check engine light remained off...

So, I'm thinking we ride around on it for a while and see if the check engine light comes back on...

Any thoughts?? :whatwhat:

- DJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts