Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am installing a CD player in my girlfriends 97 or 98 camry V6 LE. i bought this shitty connector that says it works for camry from walmart, but it didnt fit. is the 97-98 camrys like certain hondas (like 98+ accords) where this is a special adaptor??

also, i noticed the back of her factory head unit has 2 plugs, but the new headunit has 1. is this kinda like the maximas where u need an antenna adaptor too??

thanks

allen

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
You will need both harnesses if your wire up the radio only, if your adding amps, then you only need 1 harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not adding amps.. you mean i need a normal wiring harness and that dumb antenna adaptor too?? is there a specific one for camry or is it a generic toyota one, cuz the generic toyota one that says it fits camry from walmart.. didnt..

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
no the antenna should plug right into your deck, there should be two harness for the speakers and power.

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
azn1028 said:
also, i noticed the back of her factory head unit has 2 plugs, but the new headunit has 1.
The unit will NOT work with her existing wiring since she doesn't have an OEM amp behind the glove box. The unit is only a preamp deck and will need an OEM amp with all the OEM wiring bundles. Get another unit is your only other affordable option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just to clarify.. facotry deck has one connector for the whole head unit. it has 2 connectors for the antenna. i tried to purchase something similar for maximas that puts the two antennas into one antenna that will plug into an aftermarket head unit. will that work?? also, yes, none of the wiring harnesses for 97/98 camry's seem to fit the plug from her factory wiring.

so what are my options?

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
You do NOT need to get an antenna adapter for converting the regular and diversity antennae into one. In fact, it does NOT exist. Just use the main one and leave the mini-plug unattached. Again, your options are to get another OEM unit which mates with the 2-plug, or get an aftermarket. Do you understand now?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Luc, I just installed an aftermarket deck into my avalon. There were two antenna plugs, the regular one (big plug) and a diversity one (small plug). Whats the purpuse of the small one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts