Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my Sister-in-law has a '97 Tercel CE coupe with 100,000 on the clock. rear drum brakes have never been services so bought hardware kit and Centric brake shoes.

Did to know I would have a HUB off to get to the drum brakes! Had to take the outer bearing out clean it with gasoline and repack it. Did not have a inner so did not bother but grease was pretty black on the inside race.:facepalm:

And could not find torque setings for the rear spindle nut anywhere. Just snugged up then backed of a bit???

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Yes offcourse you have to remove WHEEL, and then the Drum to get to the drum brake inside it. I got a kit at autozone but some peices DID NOT FIT tercel for some reason so be aware, bring that shit back if u need to.

In my oppinion if u open up bearing and "CLEAN" it, it gets messed up anyway, tiny particles get into it and its done, its gonna make noises and such which isnt good.

What i did was go on Rockauto and order new bearings, they came in 3 days at most, and simply lube em up with grease and stick them into the wheel, right out of the plastic bag. I think washing the bearings ruins them, my father did that now his front wheel makes a humming sounds, which means bearing has dirt in it, even though he "WASHED" it with gas.

There are tWO bearings, so after putting em on, that bolt hold em in, it must be supertigght. i think the front two hub nuts were at least 150 LBS torque. I think rear is diffeerent but still needs to be tight. Wheel should rotate eazy, but still not SHAKE. or the bearing will fail prematurely.

hope that helps

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
You want to tighten that outer nut down as tight as you can with just your fingers and a rag. If the drum wobbles when spun around, then it's too loose or out-of-round. Your idea of snugging it up and then backing it off will work fine too.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Just for your knowledge and I have no idea why, but all 91-97 Tercel have white grease on outter rear bearing and black grease in inner bearing.
If you find one color on both it has been serviced.

·
No More Turbos!
1999 Toyota Tercel
172 Posts
100,000 miles I'm assuming is the mileage. So why did you change the rear shoes? I've seen them go to 300,000 KM before they required replacement. I was having trouble understanding some of your post, when you say that 'Did not have a inner so did not bother' do you mean that you didn't have an inner replacement bearing, race and seal?

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thnaks for the replies. It did have yellow grease on the outer and black on inside so guess it was stock. Also good to hear my torqueing was OK. I pulled there rear brakes apart becasue the car is a auto in a hilly urban area and ther front shoe was already worn out on the car!!

Yes we got the Centric showe kit and the shoes were not correc and neither were the shoe hold down pins!! Very pissed at aftermarket brake manufacture!

G

·
The shoes on my paseo went 130,000 miles before I replaced em'. Your tightening procedure is correct. Do beware of the aftermarket spring/pin kits as I have seen them not fit on other cars. The bag up a bunch of different sizes to broaden the application range. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts