Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lights are going out all of my wife's 97 Corolla (base model) dash. I need to replace one of the dash lights in the instrument cluster, but does anyone know if it is possible to replace an LED in the radio? Half of her stock radio (no CD, just plain AM/FM) display is burned out. Or is it time to look at getting her a new stereo?

·
You asked for it...
412 Posts
Well, the instrument cluster light is easy, but - in my opinion - the radio LEDs will probably not be worth the effort. It could be done, but you have to take the radio apart, find the replacement LEDs, do some de-soldering and sodlering, etc. That's a lot of work for a radio that just ain't all that good.

You could probably pick up a good used OEM radio and get it done a lot faster and without spending a lot of bucks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've replaced dashlights before,so that won't be a problem. I can get a new aftermarket CD player pretty cheap, I'm gonna do that rather than muck with the leds.

Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
PDXJoe said:
Yeah, I've replaced dashlights before,so that won't be a problem. I can get a new aftermarket CD player pretty cheap, I'm gonna do that rather than muck with the leds.

Thanks for your response!
Sure you don't want my stock radio? It's yours for like $15 plus shipping!

·
Registered
2007 Lexus IS250
165 Posts
I've replaced the lights in the radio of my mum's '96 LS400.... It's quite a hassle, believe me. I replaced all three burned out bulbs, put it back together, turned it on, and lo and behold, all three worked perfectly. The problem is, a total of five more burned out within a day. It's the fickle nature of automotive filament bulbs. Nearly the same thing happened when bulbs burned out in my instrument cluster, and with my number plate lights. Comical and frustrating at the same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts