Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lock mechanism has failed, and I can't unlock the door from the in or out. I'm hoping to get a better idea of what's going on inside, but I'm not sure how to remove the door panel with the door shut.

Could someone tell me exactly how to do this, please? My son was just born, and having only one way to get into the truck (passenger side door) is just not working.

Thank you!

Fred

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,860 Posts
There are a few other options... ;)

Call a locksmith. They can usually git into a locked door since they do it a lot. Just make sure you don't try to close the door until you have fixed the problem. ;)

What's not working? Are the door handles working? Is the lock frozen? I guess it's the latching mechanism that's not working? Does this have powered locks? Is this a regular or xtra cab?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,860 Posts
BTW...you can't pull the door panel without destroying it as there is one screw you won't be able to git to as the dash covers it up. All the other fasteners can be accessed with the door closed.

One option is to destroy the door panel and see if you can access the latching mechanism...but there isn't any guarantee that it will solve/open the door. ;)

You should be able to locate a replacement panel in one of the yards on www.car-part.com or maybe someone who is parting out their T-100 on craigslist. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's not working? Are the door handles working? Is the lock frozen? I guess it's the latching mechanism that's not working? Does this have powered locks? Is this a regular or xtra cab?
the handles not only DON'T work, they won't even budge. They're really tight, and so is the lock, both from the inside and outside (so using the key from the outside doesn't change a thing). The truck does have powered locks, but I've had intermittent issues with the powered locks not working properly from the very beginning. The entire lock mechanism has been replaced in the past by the previous owner. not sure where the part came from, maybe scrap yard. And this is xtra cab.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,860 Posts
the handles not only DON'T work, they won't even budge. They're really tight, and so is the lock, both from the inside and outside (so using the key from the outside doesn't change a thing). The truck does have powered locks, but I've had intermittent issues with the powered locks not working properly from the very beginning. The entire lock mechanism has been replaced in the past by the previous owner. not sure where the part came from, maybe scrap yard. And this is xtra cab.
I would go with tearing the door panel out then. No locksmith will be able to git that open without tearing the door panel and charging you fer the service. Take lots of piccies! ;)

You should be able to start prying it out from the rear facing part of the door first...that should git you access to the mechanism. You might want to take the door handle trim as well as the hand hold off first... ;)

If you take apart the passenger side first, you will git a good idea of where the fasteners are and how the mechanism should look like. :D

·
Registered
1995 T100 4x4
168 Posts
I think you still might be able to get a slim jim down there to operate the latch release.

I haven't see this on the T100 yet, but the older pre-Tacoma Toyotas I had had a small plastic widget that was used to connect various rods inside the door and those could occasionally get screwed up causing problems. If you force the lock and latch mechanisms, you can end up breaking the widgets, but they are pretty cheap and easy to replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts